 Off-Topic / Debate / 17110
  Re: slight

(...) You've lost me. To what idol are you referring? (...) Jesus Himself deviates from the Passover rite. He instituted a new one during the old one (the oldest rite that is still observed today, AFAIK). Jesus *IS* the pascal lamb. The blood of (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) [note: I have no idea what the "Christian Churches of God" are or what they may or may not believe in addition to the stuff referenced below (it wouldn't surprise me to discover they were a white supremacist christian identity movement, many (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) those times of year. The shortest day of the year and the equinox are natural times for celebrations. Early Christians may have decided to celebrate the coming of their savior at the same time as pagans were celebrating whatever they (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) You are completely missing or intentionally avoiding the fact that many Xtians practice Xmas and Easter in a manner that precisely involves appropriations of pagan rites -- and not just the dates. You take lengthy arguments, skip over (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) Okay, so you are saying that some Christians incorporate pagan traditions into their celebrations of Christmas and Easter. (...) That may be. As far as Christmas trees go, I think what has happened is that traditions have been borrowed and (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) *Some?* 4 posts ago I gave you gold about this subject and this is your half- witted reply? Xmas and Easter ARE pagan holidays, often practiced with a Xtian veneer. That's it, there is no more. (...) Okay, so if I now asserted as a fact that (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) Well, I guess that's it. I may as well admit it-- I am a pagan, and I didn't even know it! And all of Christianity turns out to be a farce! Who knew? Richard did. Richard, that faith-crushin', intellectual GIANT knew it all along. With one (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

I see. You've proved yet again you are a stubborn, knee-jerk Bible-thumper. Instead of gathering data to prove Richard's assertions wrong, you just launch into whacko ranting in an attempt to discredit HIM rather than his data. If you want to prove (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) I really have no idea what John Neal believes or why he believes it. I know he claims to be a Xtian -- but I see precious little evidence that he either reads, understands, or follows the words of Jesus (in the future, it is my intention to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) Read "The Winter Solstice" by John Matthews. Christian and pagan traditions have merged, often to the displeasure of the Christian Powers That Were At The Time. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but then my great-grandmother left out (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) Not only "celtics" have criptic-pagan traditions (if the term can be used). If you look at the way that catholic mediterranean cultures revere the many saints, you may find it as a late expression of roman polytheism... For instance, the (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) Absolutely to all that. I mention the the Celtic (Druidic) traditions because they are the ones that permeate the English speaking world. Praying to Saints for intervention is little removed from Roman ancestor worship that were elevated to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) (Not only the English speaking world - the Atlantic Coast of mainland Europe still retains lots of celtic traditions, many of which later influenced local christian communities :-) (...) True indeed. In fact, I believe that the Papacy has in (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) They also mummify the pope. I'm not sure if this is a belief that he will come back in another life but it is clearly descendent from pharoh rituals. Unfortunatly the messed up the last one pretty bad ;-) cheers, Joseph (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) <huge honkin' snip> I really have no particular desire to get into what seems to be a private battle here, but calling John out for his beliefs and saying he isn't a Christian because he doesn't follow a strictly biblical teaching isn't (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) Well, I am not the one claiming to be a messenger of something that no one wants to hear about in debate. John is claiming such a thing, in addition to all other kinds of rights to judge others via morals, politics, what have you...maybe not (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) Well the answer is very simple: Someone provide us with a detailed delineation of what "proper" Xtianity is, and then we'll all know what we're talking about. But it seems positively mad for one particular Xtian to pound the pulpit about the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: slight

(...) I have to admit, this is a remarkably funny subject, because the definition is so flexible, yet each flavor is convinced of its particular correctness (read rigidity). I once had a conversation with a Christian wherein they asked me something (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)