 Off-Topic / Debate / 17157
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:23:56 GMT

Xmas and Easter ARE pagan holidays, often practiced with a
Xtian veneer.  That's it, there is no more.

Well, I guess that's it.  I may as well admit it-- I am a pagan, and I didn't
even know it!  And all of Christianity turns out to be a farce!  Who knew?

Read "The Winter Solstice" by John Matthews.  Christian and pagan traditions
have merged, often to the displeasure of the Christian Powers That Were At
The Time.  Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but then my
great-grandmother left out milk for "the little people".  Those of us of the
Celtic tradition are high among the perverters of faith (and take subversive
pride in it, no doubt).  :-)

Richard did.  Richard, that faith-crushin', intellectual GIANT knew it all
along.  With one search on Google, he destroyed a 2000 year old religion with
the stroke of a few keys.  Simply amazing!

Why does one have to use Google?  These similiarities are quite well known -
I like mythology and have had art history ground (which invariably covers
religion so you can understand the context of the art) into me - nothing
Richard said is really new to me.  Monotheism undoubtedly predates Akhnaten
for that matter: most pantheons are built up as one tribe conquers another
and assimilates its god with the other tribe's god.  A warrior clan with a
male god (Zeus) conquers a farming tribe with a female god (Hera) and Zeus
is placed at the top of the heap.  Unsurprisingly, Zeus and Hera don't have
a good relationship.  Further tribal gods, upon their tribe being
assimilated (gad, sounds like the Borg) are defined as Zeus' and Hera's
children.  Polytheism grows out of monotheism.  Virgin births, death and
reincarnation, even the concept of the devil may have been borrowed from
other sources.  But then again, maybe they weren't.  And yet again, maybe
all of the various things happened and are not mutually exclusive or derivative.

Careful now; former Christians now rendered religionless will be looking for
someone to worship, and an intellect such as yours will be a natural focal
point.

I can see it now-- little froggie fetishes, millions of Hispanics naming their
kids "Dick Zeus"; you will surely be renamed "Haupt Frog"!

Unfortunately, while traveling through France, the name will be misconstrued
as Haut Frog, and the connection between Haut Cuisine and frog legs will be
made.  But don't worry, he'll rise again (undoubtedly due to food
poisoning).  ;-)

One word of warning, though.  Another budding religion that is sure to gain
membership in this glut of potential parishioners is the Larritarians (All Hail
Larry!)  They have a head start on you-- it should be interesting to see which
of you prevail!

Forget the sandal, I wanna follow the one that talks about "a great rubbing
of parts."

As to a religion based on the cult of me, I've played the devil's advocate
once too often to have any illusion on how I'll be portrayed....

Brucifer