 Off-Topic / Debate / 17158
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:29:55 GMT

Xmas and Easter ARE pagan holidays, often practiced with a
Xtian veneer.  That's it, there is no more.

Well, I guess that's it.  I may as well admit it-- I am a pagan, and I didn't
even know it!  And all of Christianity turns out to be a farce!  Who knew?

Read "The Winter Solstice" by John Matthews.  Christian and pagan traditions
have merged, often to the displeasure of the Christian Powers That Were At
The Time.  Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but then my
great-grandmother left out milk for "the little people".  Those of us of the
Celtic tradition are high among the perverters of faith (and take subversive
pride in it, no doubt).  :-)

Not only "celtics" have criptic-pagan traditions (if the term can be used).
If you look at the way that catholic mediterranean cultures revere the many
saints, you may find it as a late expression of roman polytheism...
For instance, the patron saint of a city is the evolution of the roman
patron god of the same city, only the "rank" was altered. Of course, if you
go around asking people *why* they tribute the saint of their choice the way
they do, they won't probably explain it this way - and in all truth, it is
not really important: as long as everyone feels better, there is no reason
to mess with their beliefs. Who cares, really?

Pedro