 Off-Topic / Debate / 17183
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:19:35 GMT

Well the answer is very simple: Someone provide us with a detailed
delineation of what "proper" Xtianity is, and then we'll all know what we're
talking about.  But it seems positively mad for one particular Xtian to
pound the pulpit about the ills of Leftists and Atheists and Vermicious
Knids while at the same time he maintains a very free-form Xtianity for
himself!  By his assertion, even belief in the divinity of Christ is only a
vaguely 'recommended' aspect of Xtianity, so why bother calling oneself
Xtian at all?

I have to admit, this is a remarkably funny subject, because the definition
is so flexible, yet each flavor is convinced of its particular correctness
(read rigidity). I once had a conversation with a Christian wherein they
asked me something along the lines of "what do you disagree with in
Christianity?". I told them several things, and with each problem, we were
able to "bend" Christianity to make it fit with my ideals. I was a Christian
and I didn't even know it!

As a minimalist definition (one that I don't think I fit), I would define
Christianity as the belief that "Jesus was on to something about the way we
should live." Further that Jesus has some sort of divine/supernatural aspect
to him (maybe all aspects, maybe not) which proves that his teachings are,
in some aspects (IE not necessarily, but maybe, to-the-letter), universal.

More and more I wonder whether Christian is slowly becoming a word for
"Amero-European". Essentially that "Christian" is becoming a cultural
description rather than a religious one... Don't think it'll get to that
point though, since it's got too much religious baggage...

DaveE