 Off-Topic / Debate / 17169
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:43:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

I really have no particular desire to get into what seems to be a private
battle here, but calling John out for his beliefs and saying he isn't a
Christian because he doesn't follow a strictly biblical teaching isn't
entirely fair or accurate.  Many, even most, Christian traditions - up to
and including the big RC - are a rich and deep polygot of traditions and
rituals, often borrowed from other religions, including pagan beliefs.

  Well the answer is very simple: Someone provide us with a detailed
delineation of what "proper" Xtianity is, and then we'll all know what we're
talking about.  But it seems positively mad for one particular Xtian to
pound the pulpit about the ills of Leftists and Atheists and Vermicious
Knids while at the same time he maintains a very free-form Xtianity for
himself!  By his assertion, even belief in the divinity of Christ is only a
vaguely 'recommended' aspect of Xtianity, so why bother calling oneself
Xtian at all?
  And if every hue in this rainbow of Xtianity is equally correct, why stop
there?

Calling these faiths non-Christian because they are not what they were 2000
years ago is holding them to an unfair standard,

  Absolutely not!  Those same "Xtians" are only too happy to condemn
homosexuals or other faiths by the exact recipe laid out by the bible lo
these many centuries ago, so it's 100% appropriate to hold those same Xtians
to the same standard.  I'd say we'd be correct to hold them to an even
higher standard, since they appoint themselves the moral guardians of humanity.

     Dave!