 Off-Topic / Debate / 17170
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:47:19 GMT

As to what would prove the existence of specifically the Christian God, I
guess I'd want Him to show up, explain some stuff, show me some miracles, and
most specifically explain ethics and His grand purpose.  It would probably be
easier for Him to just change my mind and give me faith.

lol God would never rob you of the greatest gift He ever gave you-- the
ability to exercise free will.

  Actually, He already did that, if one accepts the notion of original sin.
The predisposition to sin (ie, an inherent tendency toward evil) is hardly a
tabula rosa for free will.  If God has inflicted upon us (or allowed to be
inflicted) a propensity toward evil, then he most certainly has not given us
free will.

But even if He did show up as you would wish, would
that *really* convince you?  Wouldn't you maybe wonder if it were some
elaborate deception-- what would be the odds of the Creator of the Universe
doing such a thing?  Personally, I think miracles are overrated as
believer-getters.  Even *I* would be skeptical;-)

  You just answered your own question.  Even if God showed up to explain
things, the act of doing so would in no way eliminate free will, as long as
he allowed us still to reject or accept him.  Adam and Eve, within the
confines of that myth, certainly new that God existed (within the confines
of that myth), yet their free will still allowed them to sin (again, within
the confines of that myth).

Of course, if He could explain to me why He's good even though He seems bad,
I might reconsider.

Perhaps you are referring to His followers who seem bad.

  My question is more like this: "how can an infinitely just and merciful
God allow anyone to suffer infinitely and eternally for anything less than
an infinite and eternal wrongdoing?"

     Dave!