 Off-Topic / Debate / 17162
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl writes:
So either prove his statements wrong, or admit that you're a Bible-Thumper
that won't take any proof against the word of the Bible, no matter how strong >or how logical.

I really have no idea what John Neal believes or why he believes it.  I know
he claims to be a Xtian -- but I see precious little evidence that he either
reads, understands, or follows the words of Jesus (in the future, it is my
intention to ignore his assertions that he is a Christian unless he can
prove it with something -- anything! -- besides his mere say so).  And he
may be a bible-thumper, but spanking the good book won't get him very far
with me or anyone else.

<huge honkin' snip>

I really have no particular desire to get into what seems to be a private
battle here, but calling John out for his beliefs and saying he isn't a
Christian because he doesn't follow a strictly biblical teaching isn't
entirely fair or accurate.  Many, even most, Christian traditions - up to
and including the big RC - are a rich and deep polygot of traditions and
rituals, often borrowed from other religions, including pagan beliefs.
Calling these faiths non-Christian because they are not what they were 2000
years ago is holding them to an unfair standard, and implies (if not stating
outright) that mankind's relationship to God, should such exist, is
incabable of changing or evolving.

John isn't doing a great job of defending himself in this thread, but it may
simply be that he isn't as experienced at defending as you are at attacking.

James