 Off-Topic / Debate / 17163
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:31:07 GMT

But Chris, if nothing else, I think we all have ageed that science
cannot speak to such matters, so your requiring evidence to support
a belief in God is flawed reasoning.

I didn't say anything about science.  Science is not the lone venue for
evidence.  Law, for instance, depends on evidence.  In fact, I'd say that all
plausibly reasoned decision making proceses have a role for evidence.

Okay, I may have jumped the gun here.  Would you provide an example of • evidence
(hypothetically speaking if necessary) which would lead you to believe in the
existence of a God?

I want to start by acknowledging a significant resistance to the idea that an
ultimate creator exists at all.  That would certainly color my acceptance of
evidence.  I'm only saying this so that you don't feel the need to point it
out.  But I also believe that I'm open to taking in any reality that turns out
to be actual.  So...

A serious start would be to demonstrate _any_ kind of paranormal experience
that didn't have a simpler (by my reckoning) alternative explanation.  I
currently see no evidence of ghosts, spirits, witchcraft, magic, dieties, ESP,
etc.  If any of these things were demonstrated to me, it would (I think) open a
chink in my reasoning for any of the others.

As to what would prove the existence of specifically the Christian God, I guess
I'd want Him to show up, explain some stuff, show me some miracles, and most
specifically explain ethics and His grand purpose.  It would probably be easier
for Him to just change my mind and give me faith.

Honestly John, I live for the kind of cause of goodness that such a revelation
would give me.  I would probably make an obnoxious Christian.  But I'm not
willing to simply believe in something because it would be nice.  And Larry has
represented my current understanding in describing his preference to burn in
hell before bowing to such a bastard.  Of course, if He could explain to me why
He's good even though He seems bad, I might reconsider.

Chris