 Off-Topic / Debate / 17149
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:53:21 GMT

You are completely missing or intentionally avoiding the fact that many
Xtians practice Xmas and Easter in a manner that precisely involves
appropriations of pagan rites -- and not just the dates.

Okay, so you are saying that some Christians incorporate pagan traditions into
their celebrations of Christmas and Easter.

Do you put up an Xmas Tree every year?  I showed that this was condemned in
Jeremiah.  That's just one tiny example.  There are many more pagan rites
that have been appropriated as Xmas rites.

That may be.  As far as Christmas trees go, I think what has happened is that
traditions have been borrowed and *reassigned* meaning-- so a Christian would
put up an evergreen tree (ie one that stays green year round) to symbolize
God's unending love for us, the tree lights symbolizing the light of the world
come to earth, etc.

I see little wrong with traditions no matter their origin.  It is really a
non-issue to me.  But to a pagan who feels as if *their* traditions have been
hijacked it may be a different story.

Personally, I don't like Halloween (All Saints Day).  Perhaps this was another
attempt to hijack a pagan tradition that didn't work out so well.  I really
couldn't care less.

There are families who aren't Christian who celebrate "christmas" [1] with the
presents and Santa and the whole thing, because it's good family fun.
Whatever.  I don't loose sleep because they call it "Christmas" which literary
is Christ Mass.  Christmas has, for all intents and purposes, become a secular
holiday.  Though we celebrate it with presents and all, we still attend church
on Christmas Eve to celebrate it properly (for us).

<snip>

No, I am not. Please see the red letter words of Jesus...

Mathew 5:17-20
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come
to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth
pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be
fulfilled

How would you interpret "fulfil" or "fulfilled" here?

What do you say is the purpose of the Law (Torah)?  A yardstick, to provide a
code of conduct that makes us right with God?  What about conduct that isn't
specifically covered by the Law?  You would need more Laws, or interpret the
ones you already have to address the specific situation.  This is where the
problems start, and will always start.

Working within the Law and within the context of Judaism (being the very
fulfillment of Jewish hope as the Messiah) Jesus' life, death, and resurrection
began a new covenant by which we are justified to God.  We are now justified
through the redemptive work of Jesus, no longer through the Law.

This is Christianity 101.

-John

[1] A nod to Lar, utilizing a lowercase "c" to signify an observance of
Christmas without adherence to the religious significance of it.