 Off-Topic / Debate / 13337
  Re: War

(...) I answered it. Not my fault if you weren't paying attention. Let's try an example. Suppose Dave! asks you, Scott Arthur, the following question: "Have you always been the complete and utterly clueless twit you are today?" and demands a "Yes" (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

Larry you pre-suppose the question I asked required yes/no answer. I do not concede it did. I don't like yes/no questions as the respondent does not have to justify their answer. I suspect you like them for that very reason. (...) That is perhaps (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Scott, what do you want? You posed a quote from Albright and asked if Larry agreed with her. He answered with, as I see it, a three paragraph answer. You claimed (foolishly or disingenously?) that he didn't answer. So he reasonably assumed (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) That is 100% opinion on his part. I offer facts/independent 3rd party opinion. Larry offers his opinion. I see a difference between the two. If it turns out that Larry has expert experience of this field, he should be able to substantiate his (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) It isn't necessary to have specific and detailed knowledge of international policy, nor of the workings of foreign governments and the dynamics of sanctions. All that is necessary is a critical examination (which Larry has given) of the (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) imposed. (...) I agree. And _that_ is what you should complain about. You claimed that he didn't answer. He did answer. If you think his answer is made up, or simply opinion, or based on incorrect facts, or based on an incomplete understanding (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

It sounds like we are functioning under the assumption that blame can only be assigned to one entity. I don't think that's so. And I think that we share the blame with Hussein. But how much? (...) It sounds like you are asserting that if Hussein (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

Dave I have provided support for my argument. I have never said that I think 500,000 have died due to sanctions. Never. I disagree with Larry when he says none have died. I think a great deal have, but I have no idea how many. That is my argument. I (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) His answer was not a valid answer. Therefore it is not an answer... and that's the best I can do to get out of that one! :) (...) Independent of me! Seriously, I tend to get news which does not follow political dogma. The BBC is independent as (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) As I recall, you're willing to go to great lengths to assign a measure of blame to those who do not cause the events that befall them: (URL) and elsewhere so I suppose you're willing to extend the concept of blame beyond what I would consider (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Well, I wouldn't call them great lengths... (...) ...but I do still think that blame is virtually always shared by manny. (...) I'm not sure it's possible unless I'm just to drop it. It seems like the meat of the point. (...) But your (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Well, my point has always been that even if no one is "free" of blame (or fault or responsibility, to use the language of that prior debate), someone is almost invariably demonstrably and culpably more responsible for the event. If, (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

For sake of clarity in this discussion, I think that Saddam Hussein is a sick and twisted individual who has perpetrated much evil in this world and I would walk with a lighter step if I found out that he were killed. That said, I can go on and say (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Dave, Have you thought this over yet? Scott A (23 years ago, 3-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Come on Larry! Can you clear this one up? Scott A (23 years ago, 3-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Still pondering--Dan's statistics threw me for a loop, and I was ruminating with Chris on a connected matter. Dave! (23 years ago, 3-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) A great explanation of this was given by Dave! (...) The original cite of "debunk this" deconstructs the UN statistics. Statistics have a way of getting cited and re-cited, and those cites get recited by those that want the statistics to be (...) (23 years ago, 4-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

Hello Dave, hello everybody, I have followed the discussion about responsibility for Iraqi people a while, and what it boils down to is: Different people have different definitions of responsibility. First, there is the humanistic definition: People (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Not valid. I cited UNICEF statistics *&* opinion. Free free to debunk it. (...) You are deluded. An argument has been presented by more than just me and this is the best you can do to counter it? I would have had more respect for you if you (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Yes. This leg has nothing to do with whether the stat is right or whether the causality link is there. (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) That's right, answer just one issue in the *hope* you score a cheap point. (...) Can you support this, or is it mere opinion. Do you think the UNICEF data and opinion I quoted was wrong? Do you still stand by this: ==+== I reject that the (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Do you disagree with this comment: "Just because Saddam Hussein doesn’t care about the children doesn’t mean that it is acceptable for us to punish the innocent and helpless when he hides behind them. We should confront dictators face-to-face (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) No, I do not disagree with this comment. There is no inconsistency with what I am saying, either. The sanctions are ineffective, but are not a "punishment" any more than a fence is a punishment to a cow. (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Even when it is put in context (which you deleted): ==+== It was made by a Libertarian Congressional Candidate 2000. He was apparently against the "violence and economic sanctions perpetrated by our government’s policies towards Iraq". ==+== (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

Scott, How bullheadedly DENSE are you going to be? You only seem to be this stupid when answering Larry's posts, I think it's time you at least try to engage your brain before answering any posts from him... (...) SO WHAT?!? Larry has repeatedly (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) I doubt that is LP policy... I may be wrong. Did I say Larry should agree with it just because it is related to the LP? (...) My skull is the normall thickness thak you! (...) I think there is. (...) Perhaps if Larry answered my point this (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Just a second. Larry states an opinion - but cannot justify it to me or others. I debunk it anyway. He still holds the same opinion - but still does not justify it. And you are calling *me* bull-headed? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

Hello Larry, (...) I think the question here should not be so much "is the actual number 500k or maybe 80% less or more", but instead: "What can we do to fix the problem." One possibility would be to lift the sanctions. In terms of military buildup (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: War

(...) Right! This is exactly what I am advocating. Disassemble the country and reassemble it correctly. (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Will Larry ever answer this?

(...) (23 years ago, 9-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Asked and answered ( was Re: Will Larry ever answer this?

(...) You can post and repost this as many times as you like, I've said what I wanted to say. I doubt the veracity of UN statistics but more importantly, the other two legs stand. Fault lies with the perpetrator, not the victim and not the (...) (23 years ago, 9-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Asked and *not * answered ( was Re: Will Larry ever answer this?

(...) Justification please. (...) Larry your argument is hollow. It is empty. Can you justify it. Come on Larry, I am almost interested. Scott A (23 years ago, 9-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Asked and *not * answered ( was Re: Will Larry ever answer this?

(...) Well, can you? (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)