 Off-Topic / Debate / 13346
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:25:16 GMT

Larry you pre-suppose the question I asked required yes/no answer. I do not
concede it did. I don't like yes/no questions as the respondent does not
have to justify their answer. I suspect you like them for that very reason.

Scott, what do you want?  You posed a quote from Albright and asked if Larry
agreed with her.  He answered with, as I see it, a three paragraph answer.  You
claimed (foolishly or disingenously?) that he didn't answer.  So he
reasonably assumed (given your verbiage) that you were pressing him for a "yes
or no" type answer.  And now you're complaining that he made that guess about
your completely unclear motives and desires.  I ask again, what do you want?

Which part of the following doesn't seem like Larry's answer?

====================

  I reject that 500K children in Iraq have died since sanctions were imposed.
  That statistic itself is questionable. I note you haven't debunked it,
  merely cited it again.

  I reject that the sanctions are the REASON that children (however many)
  died. The sanctions do not prevent the flow of food into the country.

  I reject that even if the sanctions actually *caused* the death of even 1
  child that it's the fault of the imposers of the sanctions for the deaths.
  The *fault* lies with the lawless dictator Hussein, not the US.

====================

Jeez!

That is 100% opinion on his part. I offer facts/independent 3rd party
opinion. Larry offers his opinion. I see a difference between the two.  If
it turns out that Larry has expert experience of this field, he should be
able to substantiate his opinion. If he has some understanding of this
field, he should be able to substantiate his opinion. If he is just being
obtuse, he may not be able to.

… but that’s just my opinion.

Scott A

Chris