 Off-Topic / Debate / 13416
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:05:37 GMT

  I reject that 500K children in Iraq have died since sanctions were • imposed.
  That statistic itself is questionable. I note you haven't debunked it,
  merely cited it again.

  I reject that the sanctions are the REASON that children (however many)
  died. The sanctions do not prevent the flow of food into the country.

  I reject that even if the sanctions actually *caused* the death of even 1
  child that it's the fault of the imposers of the sanctions for the deaths.
  The *fault* lies with the lawless dictator Hussein, not the US.

That is 100% opinion on his part.

I agree.

A great explanation of this was given by Dave!

In this case, I don't particularly recall any valid explanation of how and why
UNICEF is lying.

The original cite of "debunk this" deconstructs the UN statistics.
Statistics have a way of getting cited and re-cited, and those cites get
recited by those that want the statistics to be what they are because they
are conveniently in support of their arguments.

Reciting UN statistics does not debunk the deconstruction, you would have to
attack the logic of the deconstruction to refute it. Not just recite the
re-cites, which is what some do.

More generally...

I have no faith in statistics that are originated by the UN unless
independently corroborated, and that's a blanket statement. The UN apparatus
is highly politicised and tends to produce answers that are politically
correct rather than actually correct.

Please note that Scott said (effectively) "I don't believe the 500K number"
and also quoted statistics that supported or cited the 500K number as a
mechanism for debunking the deconstruction, claiming they were correct. That
seems dubious at best.

++Lar