 Off-Topic / Debate / 13478
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:30:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello Larry,

I have no faith in statistics that are originated by the UN unless
independently corroborated, and that's a blanket statement. The UN apparatus
is highly politicised and tends to produce answers that are politically
correct rather than actually correct.

Please note that Scott said (effectively) "I don't believe the 500K number"
and also quoted statistics that supported or cited the 500K number as a
mechanism for debunking the deconstruction, claiming they were correct. That
seems dubious at best.

I think the question here should not be so much "is the actual number 500k
or maybe 80% less or more", but instead: "What can we do to fix the
problem." One possibility would be to lift the sanctions. In terms of
military buildup in Iraq, that would barely make a difference. The other
possibility is to finish what Desert Storm left unfinished. And then of
course not only lift sanctions, but send Care packets ...

Right!

This is exactly what I am advocating. Disassemble the country and reassemble
it correctly.