 Off-Topic / Debate / 13452
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:34:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Scott,

How bullheadedly DENSE are you going to be?  You only seem to be this stupid when
answering Larry's posts, I think it's time you at least try to engage your brain
before answering any posts from him...

Scott A wrote:

==+==
I reject that even if the sanctions actually *caused* the death of even 1
child that it's the fault of the imposers of the sanctions for the deaths.
The *fault* lies with the lawless dictator Hussein, not the US.
==+==

Do you still stand by that?

Yes.

Do you disagree with this comment:

"Just because Saddam Hussein doesn’t care about the children doesn’t mean
that it is acceptable for us to punish the innocent and helpless when he
hides behind them. We should confront dictators face-to-face rather than
adopting policies that are harmful to children and the people of Iraq."

No, I do not disagree with this comment. There is no inconsistency with what
I am saying, either.

Even when it is put in context (which you deleted):

==+==
It was made by a Libertarian Congressional Candidate 2000. He was apparently
against the "violence and economic sanctions perpetrated by our government’s
policies towards Iraq".
==+==

SO WHAT?!?

Larry has repeatedly stated that while he is a Libertarian, he doesn't agree with
the LP on many things.

I doubt that is LP policy... I may be wrong. Did I say Larry should agree
with it just because it is related to the LP?

How many times does he have to say that he doesn't toe the line 100% with the LP
before it sinks into your thick skull?

My skull is the normall thickness thak you!

And why does this context do anything to affect the fact that there is no
inconsistency with what Larry was saying?

I think there is.

It does not, it's just you wasting
everyone's time again, digging at something that has absolutely nothing to do with
the issue.

Perhaps if Larry answered my point this would be clear to me?

Scott A

Now, lets return to the rest of my message which you deleted:

==+==
Justin Raimondo (a fellow of the Center for Libertarian Studies, CA)
described the sanctions thus:

"...mass murder, comparable in scope to the famine unleashed by Stalin
against several million kulaks. After six years of a near-total economic
embargo, the once thriving Iraqi middle class has ceased to exist, and a
country once proud of its modernity is being dragged down into the lowest
rungs of the Third World."

Does anyone actually agree with you on this?

==+==

Do you agree with Mr Raimondo?

What, exactly, is your point?

Larry has repeatedly mentioned that he doesn't agree with the sanctions, but he
doesn't think the US should take the blame for them, SH should.  Is this really so
hard for you to grasp?  Are you that dense?

We are taliking about the *effect* of the sanctions.

WHO CARES whether he agrees with Mr Raimondo or not?

Perhaps me?

He's already said he doesn't
agree with sanctions, so the results of the sanctions don't really matter (as far
as Larry's feelings), do they?

We are talking about *effect*.

I won't apologize for being blunt or rude to you.

Tom, I don't expect you to.

You have proven over and over
again that, while you may be well educated, you can be blindingly stupid about the
simplest statements.

As we all can be Tom.

I'm so tired of you beating deceased equines on Larry's posts, especially when his opinions/stands on many points are so abundantly clear
to anyone else that can read.

I think these horses are still alive. I'm not the only one who has asked
Larry these questions. His opinions are indeed clear - I do not dispute
that. It is the basis of these opinions that I am interested in. He makes
statements like this, but can not justify it in any real way:

==+==
I reject that the sanctions are the REASON that children (however many)
died. The sanctions do not prevent the flow of food into the country.

I reject that even if the sanctions actually *caused* the death of even 1
child that it's the fault of the imposers of the sanctions for the deaths.
The *fault* lies with the lawless dictator Hussein, not the US.
==+==

I accept that is his opinion 100%. I am just interested in how he reached
that opinion. Was it another of his "hunches"? Do you agree with it?

Scott A

I sure hope this kill filter in Messenger works...

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/