 Off-Topic / Debate / *8116 (-20)
  Re: Polyamory

(...) OK, here you go: for the details of Gerry Crane and how he was hounded to death for being gay, try going to Yahoo and using the search string "Byron Center Gay" This article from Time is from the beginning of Gerry's ordeal: (URL) the details (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) Provide a cite please. That is, show how your set of rights are *harder to change* than ours, not that they currently give you more or less freedom. (1) That's the point I'm making, which you missed. 1 - they give you less, regardless of what (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Well, that's an easy one. Einstein's dead, so I have to go with J2. However, were Einstein alive, I'd expect he wouldn't be 8wide infected and therefore I'd go with Einstein. <grins, ducks and runs> ++Lar (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Wait! I missed this whole discussion :-) We don't all agree with Dave! I only agree that proof of God's existence isn't possible, because His existence isn't possible. I hold up all things to the scientific method because it has proven itself (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Wait! I missed this whole discussion :-) We don't all agree with Dave! I only agree that proof of God's existance isn't possible, because His existance isn't possible. I hold up all things to the scientific method because it has proven itself (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) Minor point: Christmas is of Catholic origin, springing from Constantines pronouncement of Rome as a Christian Empire. They kept their basics practices and just changed the name plates on the base of their idols. In the Pilgrim days Christmas (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) (URL) then did we receive our holidays (holy days) with their customs and traditions _ Christmas as well as Easter, Halloween, and Mardi Gras? Each of them has come to us from ancient Babylon, through Rome, through the Roman Catholic church. (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) Not really - Xmas was a pagan ritual coopted by the Christians because they couldn't quash it. (...) But if you don't believe in Eternity, who cares? Certainly not the person that doesn't. (...) Actually, it was founded on freedom OF religion, (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics

(...) (and in another post) (...) Mr. Pieniazek, You issued this challenge to me in another thread concerning sexual ethics. Perhaps you missed my note to Kevin which - to some degree - agrees with your concerns: --- The reasoning behind the sexual (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) With great trepidation, I must ask: what makes you believe that? (...) This is what I kept challenging John Neal about (and that he never directly answered). What's more important: who Christ is, or what his message is? His (and yours) (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Christian morality (cont)

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:G5MIGo.8H@lugnet.com... (...) I (...) the (...) is (...) a (...) I'll wait for Mr. Pieniazek to weigh in - to see if he was thinking along the same lines - before I respond. Thanks for your (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Christian morality (cont)

(...) **snip** (...) Well, if you're going to get all technical on me... 8^) I confess I was reading from Larry's statement forward, that there was indeed the medical possibility of a male carrying a child. Put in the terms you revealed to me, (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Christian morality (cont)

(...) So, what you are saying is that rape cannot exist within a marrage? Is this part of what you are trying to say? That a woman should be no more than a hole for a man? In spite of 50 years or more of court (and moral) decisions? I _dislike_ that (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Christian morality (cont)

(...) Actually, I think it was quite on topic. Dave! was just trying to expose the precise line at which point it becomes immoral according to the proposed moral law. For example, IF (big if) homosexual sex could produce a child, would it then be (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Christian morality (cont)

Dave Schuler wrote in message ... (...) a (...) Dave, I don't think this has any bearing on Steve's original statement, which was that (...) The male animal bearing a fetus that you speak of was not a result of homosexual sex, nor could it have (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) Already established and debated. You're right. (...) I'm sure Dave! would correct you by saying science can't "PROVE" anything, but that's just semantics :) (...) Oh? That's new. I either doubt your conclusion or have a different definition of (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Christian morality (cont)

(...) It has been demonstrated that an embryo can be implanted into the abdomenal cavity of a male mammal and brought to term through the application of hormone therapies and medical supervision. The experiment I read about involved a male baboon (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Christian morality (cont)

Mr. Pieniazek, Thanks for your interest. You recently interacted with an argument of mine as follows: (...) You won't hear me argue about morality for species other than human beings, so the first point is irrelevant. I'm wondering how it isn't true (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) Well-- I hope not! My writing a lot should only inspire response if you think it's worty of responding to :) If you'd like to respond, feel free. Really, the point is to try and allow others to learn from me, and to allow myself to learn from (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) Having sucked up a whole previous debate's worth of this sort of attack, I'm going to address this briefly. I am not blind, nor am I proceeding along a path of destruction any more certainly than you are. I'm sure it's possible to discuss (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact