 Off-Topic / Debate / 8101
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:11:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
1.  The problem with looking at God's existence from a purely scientific
point of view is that it doesn't work.

Already established and debated. You're right.

Science can only prove/disprove
something that can be repeatedly tested in a laboratory.  You can prove
that two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom will change from solid to
liquid state at zero degrees and to a gaseous state at 100

I'm sure Dave! would correct you by saying science can't "PROVE" anything,
but that's just semantics :)

You could prove the existence of God or love in a court, but not a lab.

Oh? That's new. I either doubt your conclusion or have a different
definition of "prove" than you. Probably the latter.

2.  Christ's significance isn't limited to just what He said and did.
You speak of Him in the past tense - it's not what He did - it's who He IS.
Christmas and Easter are celebrations of the three most significant events
in history - Christ's birth, death, and resurrection.  (Even the very word
history, comes from His_Story.)  (I could go on at great length, but I
don't think that's what you're after here.)

Point missed. Christ, no matter how you look at Him, is finite. Not all
humans or intelligent "beings" (if you believe in such things) were/are/will
be born with a knowledge of Jesus. And many, by means of experience,
weren't/aren't/won't. People who lived 3,000 years ago had no chance. People
living in remote tribes with no contact with Christians have no chance. Etc.
Why should there be those who have more advantages based on location, when
they were born, etc.? Again, doesn't matter. You could say (and I couldn't
logically debate you) that only people that NEED help in finding truth, etc.
are born with exposure to Christianity-- that's the way God planned it. I
don't BUY it, but I can't logically argue it, since I can't say anything
about what God 'really' says.

3.  I would say that where you spend eternity is of utmost importance.
Christ spoke more about hell than He did about heaven.  The answers
to your questions are in the Bible.

Again, this is something I simply have moral issue with. I don't believe in
permanent reward or punishment. It just doesn't "jive" with me. I think John
Neal's approach to this worked pretty well for me though... but then again,
I may be interpreting his view wrong, I suppose. Anyway, again, doesn't
matter. You could say that my moral sense is obviously flawed since you
define morality differently and ultimately. I can't argue. I can only disagree.

4.  This country (consider me an American for the moment) was founded
on Biblical standards/principles/values.

Agree.

It's the very turning away from
God that is the root cause of the problems (and problems is a rather
drastic understatement) that are destroying our nation from within.

I lost you.
#1. Prove that the problems are caused by turning away from God.
#2. Prove that our problems are any more worse now than they were 200 years
ago. I think they're just different. And some I doubt I'd even consider
problems, that no doubt you would.

You said yourself that this fourth point is your main focus; I have a
basic question for you - If you do not base your ethical principles on
the Bible, upon what do you base them?

Sorry, but I think I went over this in quite a bit of detail. I'll say it
again though.

Morality is developed in the human mind through finding a sense of what one
wants (via experience) and reacting to social conditions (again, via
experience).

Hence, my morality is based on what I want and what, what I think others
want, and how I rate our wants, based on my own capacity for comprehension
and my experience with these issues. Someone else's morality will differ. In
major and/or minor aspects, to different degrees.

DaveE