 Off-Topic / Debate / 8096
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:11:04 GMT

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a bit...

That's good - many just blindly proceed along the path to destruction.
Christ Himself said "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate
and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through
it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and
only a few find it."  [Matthew 7:13&14]

I think I've boiled down the problems I have with Christianity:
1. God's existence
2. Christ's significance
3. A Heaven/Hell afterlife
4. Ethical principles

1.  The problem with looking at God's existence from a purely scientific
point of view is that it doesn't work.  Science can only prove/disprove
something that can be repeatedly tested in a laboratory.  You can prove
that two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom will change from solid to
liquid state at zero degrees and to a gaseous state at 100, but you can't
prove or disprove _scientifically_ the existence of God any more than
you can love or anything else that can't be experimented upon in a lab.
You could prove the existence of God or love in a court, but not a lab.

2.  Christ's significance isn't limited to just what He said and did.
You speak of Him in the past tense - it's not what He did - it's who He IS.
Christmas and Easter are celebrations of the three most significant events
in history - Christ's birth, death, and resurrection.  (Even the very word
history, comes from His_Story.)  (I could go on at great length, but I
don't think that's what you're after here.)

3.  I would say that where you spend eternity is of utmost importance.
Christ spoke more about hell than He did about heaven.  The answers
to your questions are in the Bible.

4.  This country (consider me an American for the moment) was founded
on Biblical standards/principles/values.  It's the very turning away from
God that is the root cause of the problems (and problems is a rather
drastic understatement) that are destroying our nation from within.
You said yourself that this fourth point is your main focus; I have a
basic question for you - If you do not base your ethical principles on
the Bible, upon what do you base them?

SRC