 Off-Topic / Debate / 8109
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 22:21:53 GMT

SRC wrote:

2.  Christ's significance isn't limited to just what He said and did.
You speak of Him in the past tense - it's not what He did - it's who He IS.
Christmas and Easter are celebrations of the three most significant events
in history - Christ's birth, death, and resurrection.

Not really - Xmas was a pagan ritual coopted by the Christians because they
couldn't quash it.

3.  I would say that where you spend eternity is of utmost importance.
Christ spoke more about hell than He did about heaven.  The answers
to your questions are in the Bible.

But if you don't believe in Eternity, who cares?  Certainly not the person that
doesn't.

4.  This country (consider me an American for the moment) was founded
on Biblical standards/principles/values.

Actually, it was founded on freedom OF religion, practicing whatever you wish.
The Pilgrims didn't come over here because they thought it would be a
peachykeen place, they came here to flee oppression.

I would thus state that not only should it be freedom OF, but freedom FROM
religion.

Biblical standards/principles/values were nothing new, they were just codified
social "norms"/expectancies to retain order (IOW, "keep the masses in check")

It's the very turning away from
God that is the root cause of the problems (and problems is a rather
drastic understatement) that are destroying our nation from within.

Is it?  Why do you HAVE to have God to be good?  That's ridiculous.  I'm an
agnostic/atheist, and believe I am basically good (far better than many
"Christians" who should have no right to call themselves so.  Christ taught
love and understanding, and many Christians (unfortunately, the ones that seem
to make the news) profess hate.)

You said yourself that this fourth point is your main focus; I have a
basic question for you - If you do not base your ethical principles on
the Bible, upon what do you base them?

My own idea of what is good.  Some based on selfishness, some on self-interest,
some on others.

Treat others as you would treat yourself isn't anything new, just because the
Bible lists it doesn't mean the Bible CREATED it.