 Off-Topic / Debate / 8259
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:06:35 GMT

SRC wrote:

4.  This country (consider me an American for the moment) was founded
on Biblical standards/principles/values.  It's the very turning away from
God that is the root cause of the problems (and problems is a rather
drastic understatement) that are destroying our nation from within.
You said yourself that this fourth point is your main focus; I have a
basic question for you - If you do not base your ethical principles on
the Bible, upon what do you base them?

SRC

Sorry but I won't buy it. Since it is not true at all. If your founders
ethics had been really based on the "Biblical
standards/principles/values" there won't be a United States of America
today. But this is not the whole point of course, just to show you your
example to defend your point is not wisely chosen.

Again, yes, religion can be a good base to ethical standards, from time
to time. But it is not the only one. Being good does not qualify the
others are bad. Actually, this type of logic results in some other
people stand in front of you with many examples of the events from today
and from the all written history, in which religion acted as a base for
unethical performance, and defend that religion is not a good ethical
base, and this is nothing but being shot with your own gun.

Selçuk