 Off-Topic / Debate / 8258
Re: Change? Somewhat verbose...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:07:22 GMT

There are those here who think that if they
repeat the same opinion over and over and over and over again until everyone
goes home - they have won.

No one really thinks that.  It just seems that way based on their actions.

The way to ‘win’ a debate to have those taking
part question their own beliefs - not leave the room due to insults or shear
boredom.

But what about when both happen?  In the recent "debate" on polyamory, I didn't
lose my basic premis that monogamy is artificially limiting, but it was
occasionally an interesting exploration of how it can go wrong.  So I feel like
I grew even though I couldn't handle participating for most of it, and "left
the room due to insults."  (Or maybe I didn't leave, I just went in the corner
and stood silently.)

In other cases, I'm sure some people have left while others have benefitted.
What about those debates?

Chris