 Off-Topic / Debate / 8112
Re: Critical Thinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:00:47 GMT

Then WHY do atheists and agnostics try and hold religion up to the scientific
method?  Seems to me you can't have your cosmic cake and eat it too.  Anyone
stating that they need some sort of proof or evidence that God exists is
inconsistent, when we all agree that that is *by definition* not possible.

Wait!  I missed this whole discussion :-)  We don't all agree with Dave!

I only agree that proof of God's existance isn't possible, because His
existance isn't possible.  I hold up all things to the scientific method
because it has proven itself as the best general method of getting me closer
and closer to the truth.  The more science we do, the better we get at
predicting the future.

And what does it mean to all of you atheists and agnostics out there that some
of the brightest minds in science believe in God?

It means the same thing as when I see an otherwise bright person smoking.
Bright people, for whatever reason, can make collosolly stupid choices.  Bright
people can allow their emotions to cloud their rational judgment.  Isn't that
obvious?

Do you "know better" than Einstein or Hawking?

Yes.  About many things.  Who do you suppose knows more about LEGO trains,
John, you or Einstein?

I'm not saying that you should believe *because* they
believe, but perhaps there is more merit to the existence of God than you
"thought".

I continue not to think so.

Chris