 Off-Topic / Debate / 8116
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:10:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Lorbaat wrote:

Except that I have NO idea where they are - they're buried in with millions of
car
mags.  I don't put them on an altar or anything.

Heh!  No, I wasn't suggesting that you did.  But still, saying "there have been
cases!  Really!"  Doesn't cut it.

These aren't EXACTLY on track, but they're close, and both of these things
happened in West Michigan and both are pretty well documented in media
archives.

Provide a cite Larry - it would help make your point credible.

OK, here you go:

for the details of Gerry Crane and how he was hounded to death for being
gay, try going to Yahoo and using the search string "Byron Center Gay"

This article from Time is from the beginning of Gerry's ordeal:

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/analysis/time/9604/29/smolowe.shtml

For the details on how Mr. Boomer had to do community service (I was wrong,
it wasn't jail time per se) because his canoe hit a rock try going to Yahoo
and using the search string "Michigan Profanity Canoe"

This article from Newsweek has some details (scroll down past the lead)

http://www.dailydavos.com/nw-srv/issue/05_99a/tnw/today/ps/ps_archive_1.htm

Neither of these searches was particularly hard for you to carry out but I
did your homework for you because I like you.

Are you saying the board had a right to sack him as he was gay? That is your
usual line of argument is it not?

Ah, Scott, another example of uncritical thinking. You DO grasp the
difference between public and private, as used in the US, right? OK... more
slowly.

It's a public school board. If it were a private school they should be able
to enforce any behaviour standards they like on their employees, including
requiring that their teachers be gay or not be gay. But public bodies,
including public schools should not be able to discriminate in that way.

That's my assertion, which of course you have said you don't agree with,
since you feel it's OK for majority vote to impose standards of behaviour.

++Lar