 Off-Topic / Debate / *7131 (-20)
  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I see you point of view, but I still feel a life is a life. Personally, I could never take another life in cold blood - no matter what the reason. The only death I can remember agreeing with was this one: (URL) I was not "happy" with that. Is (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I agree :) (...) The problem here is what is "unjustified" to you may be OK to me - or vise versa. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one too. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Government should protect us from ourselves??? This is an absurd statement in my mind (see my statement about avoiding personal responsibility), but I sense a fundamental disagreement here as to the purpose of government and will agree to (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Scott: Perhaps I can answer this, as I am indeed both a political pro-life supporter, and a death penalty advocate as well. Some charge that it is an inconsistent position - that life is life, and indeed killing is killing. To this charge I (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) This issue aside, I can't agree with this. Goverment should also protect us from ourselves. If one were to decide to take ones own life, one would expect "government" to get involved. (...) Perhaps. However, a man was democratically executed (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

The whole problem of the abortion debate is that it is actually *two* debates intertwined into one. One, whether the government has the right to tell one what one can do with one's body (most would say no), and whether one has the right to take the (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I accept abortion is an issue. Most have opinions on it which at times may be hard to convey due to underlying emotions etc. However, I am always amazed at the importance of the issue in the US. Is there a reason for this? I know it is a (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I'm Pro-Choice, but anti-abortion. How is that for fence sitting? What it means is, that given that my actions could bring a child into the world. I have discussed this with my wife, and said, that given the choice I would choose not to abort (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  BI-partisan bickering reaches new heights in the US?

So now both sides are escalating the "crisis" of the election. Both sides are alleging voter fraud, alleging the process isn't fair, alleging that their party didn't get a fair shake in some districts, threatening that if the other side contests one (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: I missed this ref, it's even better: (URL) that both of these refs were found by typing "abortion" into the search box at the bottom of the front page of the www.lp.org site...) I'm in the 4.9% (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) One must remeber that that when one talks about freedom of choice, it assumes one has a choice. Many in society may not be able to choose a better school for their kids, or heathcare for their family as the lack resourses (not just money) to (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

I too don't want to debate the broad topic of abortion, my own views are unclear to myself at the moment (0). (...) Nope. You certainly did not misinterpret. One of the unofficial slogans of the LP is "we're pro-choice.. on everything!" If you'll (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I don't want to add fuel to a debate over the right to choice either since I'm certain no one's viewpoint will be swayed, but I would like some clarification. Are you thanking James for expressing an opinion with which you agree? If that is (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plowed Ground

John: Thanks for the assist, but I got 44044 results from that search! Happily, I've received another pointer as well, and I think I'll find what I'm looking for through that. Thanks anyway! Dave! (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Just one, but we've got room for illiterate yank hillbillies ;) (so long as they bring their lego sets) Joe from Australia (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I see two fundamental understandings of humanity which are the barriers to understanding the Libertarian perspective (and these really are almost a single fundamental understanding): 1. The understanding that humans are basically good. The (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plowed Ground

(URL) Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:G3s0ut.62v@lugnet.com... (...) it (...) was (...) but (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

Uh oh where'd he go? I can't find this other post, though I disagreed strongly when I read it. "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G3rzwM.3H5@lugnet.com... (...) I could have sworn that was one of the current (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

Thanks James "James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message news:G3s19p.7CB@lugnet.com... (...) v. Wade (...) this (...) Anyway, I'm (...) abortion- (...) a (...) degree, (...) Thus (...) does (...) body. If (...) indeed be (...) maturity of (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Wrong. (...) Have you looked at their website? (...) You have shown yourself to be unable to answer any of the points I raised. I would have respected you more if you had not answered, rather than wasting my time with this post. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact