 Off-Topic / Debate / *24916 (-20)
  Re: Nike sued over a stick-man drawing?

(...) Would that be the "Law of $" theory? (...) I discovered a while back that they provide internet service outside of the US (specifically the UK, IIRC), so I no longer really consider the fact that non-Americans might not be familiar with them, (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: polygyny in "biblical times"

(...) As far as the state is concerned, the church doesn't, but the church does require itself to abide by the laws of the land. If the US government says gays can get married, it doesn't mean that the church would have to perform or even recognize (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

(...) (URL) Found it>, or a case much like the one I was thinking of. Dave! (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message news:I15x8G.s77@lugnet.com... (...) to (...) member of (...) Atheism, (...) While there may not be a "Church of Atheism", I guarantee there are atheist clergy who can and do perform (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Not the right way to exit?

(...) I see your point and I agree. What is interesting, though, is the case of Germany and South Korea who, in essence, used US presence as "free" defense against Communism for about 50 years, so there is a precendent for this type of presence. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

(...) Over the past couple of months I have occasionally been sending letters to the local paper in my neck of the woods in response to another gentleman who has been doing the same. (Most of which, the paper has been printing on both sides of the (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

(...) Shearly you jest, but you may wool be correct; my baaaad:-) (...) I swear I was only helping the sheep over the fence.... JOHN (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

(...) Good suggestions all. I'd like to disclaim, though, that my original (URL) formulation> of the question made a few stipulations, among them the following: Values predating Judeo-Christianity must not be included (ie, “do unto others...”) (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

(...) I submit that history shows the strong ties between religion and government by the presence of many state-enforced religions (including Islam in much of the Middle East, the Anglican Church in England, and Atheism in the ex-U.S.S.R.). I submit (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

(...) Somehow I can't imagine the sheep objecting, but I must admit that my expertise on such "relationships" is limited solely to two rather off-color jokes, so others here might know better than I... ;P (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Not the right way to exit?

(...) Because the longer we stay there, the more it looks like they're a puppet government controlled by the US. And if they can't stand on their own without having us there to quell rebellion, they effectively are, by virtue of the fact that we'd (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: polygyny in "biblical times"

(...) (URL) fun) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: polygyny in "biblical times"

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote: <snip> (...) And the scary bit is that, from what I've read, all Dave's seem to be on the same page regarding this issue, and these Dave's come from widely divergent backgrounds. Wow! Dave K -go Daves (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: polygyny in "biblical times"

(...) So your point is that the state has a vested interest in NOT recognizing marriages? Why? I thought your point (in a past debate) was that somehow gay marriage negatively affected the American family, which was the foundation of society (though (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@...areDOTcom> wrote in message news:I14L96.1r36@lugnet.com... (...) to/seem (...) debunking (...) Hmm, is that debunking that democracies tend to/seem to go to war less, or debunking that certain nations are (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:I15rpI.1v7n@lugnet.com... (...) pee in (...) so, (...) involving the (...) in the (...) I'm with you on this one. I visited a dorm at MIT that had a co-ed bathroom, that had multiple stalls (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: polygyny in "biblical times"

(...) I recognize that the law requires boys to pee in one place and girls to pee in another, but I can't really think of a solid reason that this should be so, other than because people can be quaintly immature about functions involving the (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: polygyny in "biblical times"

(...) How many persons? (...) So are public restrooms. Are you against separating those? (...) For what possible reason? That is downright strange. (...) Well, that "church" has some issues. (...) lol "evolution of society"? Are you so sure our (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

(...) So you would have no objection if the Federal government enacted laws barring Christians from marrying? I want you to go on record on this, with the following qualifiers: You can't claim "our country is based on Judeo-Christian tradition" (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution

(...) Hey, I'm cool with that. Whoever brings the issue to the table has done the right thing, IMO. I figured that John was right in citing Left-leaning judges as the source of the current controversy, but if the controversy began its momentum with (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact