 Off-Topic / Debate / 24909
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:58:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

   I submit that history shows the strong ties between religion and government by the presence of many state-enforced religions (including Islam in much of the Middle East, the Anglican Church in England, and Atheism in the ex-U.S.S.R.). I submit that many formal state religions exerted power on their respective governments by threats of punishment in the afterlife, including excommunication. I submit that when devising a set of laws and punishments, you will be influenced by your own moral compass, which will be greatly affected by your religion (as evidenced by the Spanish Inquisition in the West, and the Taliban-enforced requirements for beards and veils in the Middle-East). I submit that the lawmakers of the US have always been and continue to be largely of a Judeo-Christian background, and therefore will legislate based on what they’ve come to believe to be right and wrong. I submit that the mere use of the phrase “In God We Trust” signifies that the Founding Fathers did indeed allow some form of religious background to influence the basis for our government.

Good suggestions all. I’d like to disclaim, though, that my original formulation of the question made a few stipulations, among them the following:

Values predating Judeo-Christianity must not be included (ie, “do unto others...”)

Values not manifest in secular law (ie, no shellfish) must not be included

Values present in Judeo-Christianity (ie, slavery, which is repeatedly endorsed in scripture) but antithetical to our secular law must not be included (I would add to this that such currently-antithetical values must be accounted for; specifically, why are these certain values okay to exclude while we are somehow required to accept other values as fundamental.)

I don’t even question that many of our politicians have been devout Christians. However, except where their values have no precedent outside of Judeo-Christianity, I don’t think it’s accurate to claim that those values are part of a Judeo-Christian foundation. That would be like claiming that, because Ford trucks use interchangeable parts, therefore Ford Motor Company invented the notion of interchangeable parts. Sure, they may use them, but the idea predates them. So it is with many Judeo-Christian notions and values.

If we must include those values in our discussion, can we not instead identify them appropriately according their origins, rather than ascribing them to a convenient stopping-point (Judeo-Christianity) along the way?

   What does all that mean? That our government has a Judeo-Christian background, but not that it’s under Judeo-Christian rule. The 1st Amendment prevents any religious organization from gaining direct control of the government by imposing their religion, as a whole, upon the populace. It doesn’t prevent individuals from voting based on what their respective religions have told them is right or wrong.

I suppose I’ve been kind of unclear on this point in the past. It would be foolish to insist that public officials wholly divorce themselves from their faith or sectarian beliefs when making public policy decisions; those officials are clearly informed by their own value systems, which in turn may be based on faith. That’s part of the melting pot, and IMO it’s fine as long as no faith-based (or nonfaith-based) group attempts to criminalize another group’s beliefs (or nonbeliefs).

However, there was a case recently (I’ll try to find it--it shouldn’t be difficult) in which members of a jury consulted the bible during their deliberations for advice re: punishment. That is, IMO, an unforgiveable encroachment of religion into public law, and such intrusions should be resisted at all costs.

**snip of the rest, which was pretty good stuff, too**

Dave!

Speaking as 25% of the club.