 Off-Topic / Debate / 24908
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:12:16 GMT

   So you would have no objection if the Federal government enacted laws barring Christians from marrying? I want you to go on record on this, with the following qualifiers: You can’t claim “our country is based on Judeo-Christian tradition” because you haven’t yet answered my request for support of that claim.

I submit that history shows the strong ties between religion and government by the presence of many state-enforced religions (including Islam in much of the Middle East, the Anglican Church in England, and Atheism in the ex-U.S.S.R.). I submit that many formal state religions exerted power on their respective governments by threats of punishment in the afterlife, including excommunication. I submit that when devising a set of laws and punishments, you will be influenced by your own moral compass, which will be greatly affected by your religion (as evidenced by the Spanish Inquisition in the West, and the Taliban-enforced requirements for beards and veils in the Middle-East). I submit that the lawmakers of the US have always been and continue to be largely of a Judeo-Christian background, and therefore will legislate based on what they’ve come to believe to be right and wrong. I submit that the mere use of the phrase “In God We Trust” signifies that the Founding Fathers did indeed allow some form of religious background to influence the basis for our government.

What does all that mean? That our government has a Judeo-Christian background, but not that it’s under Judeo-Christian rule. The 1st Amendment prevents any religious organization from gaining direct control of the government by imposing their religion, as a whole, upon the populace. It doesn’t prevent individuals from voting based on what their respective religions have told them is right or wrong.

   You also can’t claim any entitlement due to long-standing traditions of Christian marriage, since these are irrelevant to secular law.

They’re not wholy irrelevent, or men who are either Mormon or Muslim would be allowed to marry more than one wife at a time in the US. Marriage, however, is ultimately ruled by the state, not the church. Your church can refuse to perform or recognize your marriage for a huge variety of reasons, but they can’t invalidate it. At the same time, they can be 100% behind your marriage, but it doesn’t affect your official marital status until you sign the state-issued contract (ironically, this means that the happy couple either has to begin the ceremony legally married, or end it legally single, but you’re not legally married solely because of the ceremony). It’s also not strictly limited to Christians, as you can be married by a judge, a ship’s captain, or a member of clergy from any religion...including the First Church of Elvis (but not Atheism, because they have no recognized clergy).