 Off-Topic / Debate / 24898
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:55:48 GMT

   My objection is to the use of the terms “activist judge” or “judicial activism” as short-hand subsitutions for actual debate. Too often Conservative pundits have decried judicial rulings as “activist” without presenting any legitimate arguments against those rulings.

   I think you are underestimating the arguments against legislating from the bench.

It is not “legislating from the bench” to recognize that people are being denied their rights.

For instance, show me in the Constitution the right to marry.

So you would have no objection if the Federal government enacted laws barring Christians from marrying? I want you to go on record on this, with the following qualifiers: You can’t claim “our country is based on Judeo-Christian tradition” because you haven’t yet answered my request for support of that claim. You also can’t claim any entitlement due to long-standing traditions of Christian marriage, since these are irrelevant to secular law.

The matter is not the “right to marry” in an of itself. The real and underlying issue is addressed by the 14th amendment. The 9th amendment is also relevant, and while we’re at it so is the 10th.

   It is also not “legislating from the bench” to strike down unconstitutional laws.

   But don’t you see? If you are creative enough, you can pull unconstitutionality out of your butt!

A law is not unconstitutional simply because it doesn’t appear in the Constitution. Laws that are unconstitutional are those laws that are in opposition to the text of the Constitution.

   Why must you add the qualifier “of the opposite sex” to your formulation of the right?

   Why must this disciminatory prohibition be included as part of the formulation?

Because that is the definition of marriage.

You’re dissembling. Whose definition? And why can the definition not be changed? In answering, I urge you to avoid chicken-little warnings like “it will destroy the fabric of our society,” since these are not supported by any evidence.

   How more equal can you get? Or are you suggesting that the States discriminate based on sex, religion, or sexual preference? It cuts both ways...

Not at all. It is not discrimination to allow someone access to legal rights.

When it’s convenient of course. Compared the lengths of governmental paternity verses maternity leave lately?

What are you asking me? If I think that the family-leave laws are discriminatory? Of course I do! I’m kind of surprised that you wouldn’t have guessed that about me.

   What about when I get a $5000 tax deduction-- merely for having kids, and you as a childless person get none? This is inequitable.

Also irrelevant to the current debate. Start another thread if you’d like to explore this issue further.

   But it all ties together. Frist is pushing this amendment, knowing that if some states recognize gay marriage, all states will be bound to recognize gay marriages under the 14th Amendment against their will.

Good! If that’s what it takes to drag the states out of their homophobic bigotry, then we absolutely must not allow Frist to succeed in enshrining this discriminatory amendment in the text of the Constitution.

   This is the point on which we apparently cannot agree. Let me restate that I absolutely 100% support a the right of a church/faith/etc. to set the criteria for legitimate marriage within that church/faith/etc. However, those criteria are entirely separate from the legal criteria under the Constitution. By all means, let the individual private groups set their standards, but they have no business forcing their own views upon society as a whole.

But the fact remains that our society’s standards, as a whole, are Judeo-Christian in origin.

Foul! You can’t use that claim unless you can support it, as I’ve asked previously. Once you’ve done so, then we may proceed.

   The state has no business defining the tradition of marriage, which would be tantamount to endorsing a religion of its own. I’m not talking about your religion or mine (so to speak): I mean that, by enshrining traditions as untouchable legal principles to which all people are forced to adhere, then the state would thereby be establishing a religion-of-state.

The reality is that once the state defines, all are forced to adhere. The question is who will be the ones who get discriminated against.

If gays are allowed to marry, then who is being discriminated against?

   Marriage is the publically declared union of a man and woman with God as their witness to live together in holy matrimony. That would be my ideal definition of marriage. I realize that many if not most do not attain this ideal, and many break their vows, but that is the ideal.

I accept your definition of marriage as a faith-imbued contract between man, woman, and God. However, I don’t accept that your definition is relevant to the marital contract under secular law. If Christianity (or any other faith or group) wishes to impose greater restrictions on the members of that group, and if the members of that group agree, then there’s no problem. The problem occurs when a group wishes to legislate its doctrines upon society at large.

   If the removal of prohibitions against freedom is indeed discriminatory, then call me discriminatory. I will always favor greater access to rights rather than greater restriction of rights.

But at some point you will prohibit, or else you are an anarchist (which I don’t believe you are).

I will prohibit only at the point at which harm is inflicted upon an unwilling person (or a person not able to act on his own behalf). Beyond that, let freedom ring.

   You must first establish that animals are able to enter into legally binding contracts. Once you have done this, then I will discuss the more specific issue of human/animal marital contracts.

Never underestimate a pack of twisted, creative lawyers on retainer:-)

Don’t dismiss it with a joke. You’re basing a lot of your argument on the notion that the marriage of two men will lead inevitably to the marriage of a man and a non-human animal (astute readers may insert their own Ann Coulter joke here). If you seek to continue in that vein, then I must require you to demonstrate how non-human animals are able to enter into legal contracts. Otherwise, I want you to state on record that your example of man-animal marriage is irrelevant.

   Once you say marriage is between 2 people, a collective of 3 people will object. Make it 3, and 4 will protest. Make it N people, and 1 and his sheep (sorry) will object. And so on.

Skipping the sheep, what is the problem? If N people are willing to be bound by the marital contract, why should you care? Again, I mean in specific, non-reactionary terms. If such communal marriages will damage/destroy society, then present your evidence that this is so.

Dave!