 Off-Topic / Debate / 24899
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:25:03 GMT

   And I will point out to you, again, that this discussion isn’t telling Christians that they have to allow gay marriages in tehir parish, but the US laws and government, being a-religious (without religion) isn’t subservient to Jesus’ teachings in the Bible. Therefore, you cannot use Matthew 19:4-6, or any other verse of the Bible, as the basis of US laws or for overturning constitutional rights.

This discussion is about the definition of marriage, Dave. How would you define it?

   The final analysis--perfectly legal for a church to refuse to perform marraiges, or anything else, they do not, under their idea of whatever religious belief they ascribe to, believe in.

Perfectly legal for a government institution, under the Constitution (or Charter of Rights and Freedoms here in Canada) that is legally allowed to perform marriages, to perform gay marraiges.

Where’s the issue?

The issue is whether the state has a vested interest in recognizing marriages or not.

JOHN

The state should recognize marraige as a contract between persons, no matter their sexual affiliation.

How many persons?

   If the Church wants to put quantifiers on that contract, i.e. one person must be female, and the other must be male, all the power to the church. The state, o nteh other hand, cannot make such a quantifier ‘cause it’s sexual discrimination.

So are public restrooms. Are you against separating those?

   I don’t recall the church, in general, getting their knickers in a bunch when athiests started getting married. I have many friends who are athiests and who are married (even married in churches! *gasp*!)

For what possible reason? That is downright strange.

   --the marriage contract, by the *stated* nature of the participants, wasn’t ‘under God’, but the church still allowed it.

Well, that “church” has some issues.

   Looking at this, and the ‘evolution of society’, what, with divorce, non-belief, etc, the church cannot, and more importantly, should not, dictate to everyone else in the society, ‘which way is up’.

lol “evolution of society”? Are you so sure our society isn’t “devolving”?

Sorry, Dave. That is exactly the job of the church. People are morally rudderless; the Church is the moral anchor.

   That’s the very nature of separation of church and state.

As far as the Church is concerned, the state doesn’t enter in to it.

JOHN