 Off-Topic / Debate / 24903
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:14:23 GMT

   Where’s the issue?

The issue is whether the state has a vested interest in recognizing marriages or not.

So your point is that the state has a vested interest in NOT recognizing marriages? Why? I thought your point (in a past debate) was that somehow gay marriage negatively affected the American family, which was the foundation of society (though I don’t think you ever stated how it actually is a negative effect)?

This also seems to keep going back to this issue of “changing the definition of marriage”, which I just don’t get. Why is that an issue? If we’re changing a definition for the *better*, why should it matter? Why is *change* a bad thing in and of itself, rather than evaluated by the *outcome* of the change? Who cares what the Bible and the US government say about marriage-- shouldn’t we figure out what’s *right*, and go with that? And if it happens to coincide with either the Bible or the government, well, fine, but shouldn’t that be irrelevant?

DaveE

(Dave #4 to stick his nose in the debate)