 Off-Topic / Debate / *14836 (-20)
  Re: Medical Marijuana

But does your constitution not give you supreme court the right to do “all kinds of crazy things” with your rights? By the way, I was talking about this story: US outlaws 'medical' marijuana (URL) A (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Depends on the court we are talking about. The current court has done all kinds of crazy things with our rights. That the power of the single state is losing ground to the idea of a single nation in an era of "globalization" is hardly (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Hmmm, no answer to this: (Re: Scott's too lazy to unsubscribe)

Hmmm, no answer to this: "Does your supreme court agree with that view? I hear not." Scott A (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  What makes larry think I am too lazy to unsubscribe?

(...) Youch! An insult. (...) No. (...) Its content is mostly junk. I did not sign up for it. It is junk mail. QED. (...) In what way? I have a lot "priorities", I can't think of any which are directly related to LUGNET. (...) I have said it before, (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Oops! (was Re: Medical Marijuana)

(...) "foreign companies" sould be "foreign countries". yeeeesh! -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

David: I think a lot of that shows a poor understanding of what is actually taking place in our good country. The reasons to keep drugs (currently illicit drugs) ILLEGAL are: 1. Increased government income (nondeclared, slips easily into one's (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Ah, so as to make it so ridiculous in cost that nobody would buy it and thus essentially stop drug use? I spose. In any event, I think the pros and cons still apply as to why not legalize it-- just perhaps not for the supposed plan. As for the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Ah, so as to make it so ridiculous in cost that nobody would buy it and thus essentially stop drug use? I spose. In any event, I think the pros and cons still apply as to why not legalize it-- just perhaps not for the supposed plan. As for the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Yeah, I was trying to formulate a scenario in which the gov't could "allow" marijuana (or the like) but might place some dollar restriction on sales to make the legal purchase undesirable to the consumer. Not sure if it would work, except in (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) No, it's too plausible not to be true. The government thinks heroin is some big bad thing (it is) that we need to be protected from because we're too stupid (we're not)... so we have wild gyrations in the street price as we either bribe the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

Replace marijuana with heroin and you have a successfully conceived scenario. I am not saying that this is the truth, I am saying it's a plausible reason for much of what we have seen of late. It could, of course, be totally false. -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) I think the argument being put forth is that 80,000% is so high as to not make it profitable or even feasible to actually carry out commerce. So I'm not sure your pros and cons apply. (but maybe they do... at one dollar an ounce (an (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Did governments create the drug problem instead of prevent one? was Medical Marijuana

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Gn7J4q.Mt1@lugnet.com... (...) There is a new book published this week Richard Davenport-Hines - ''Pursuit of Oblivion: A Narcotic History of the World, 1500-2000.'' I haven't read (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  the LEGO corporation is a sinister arm of Western global hegemony?

From the National Review. I don't necessarily agree with all of Peter's reasoning but I found it an interesting read. You may as well, or not. (URL) found the last paragraph "And, in a roundabout way, the Maori have made their peace with (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Pros: 1. Increased government income from taxes made 2. More government jobs for overseeing drug trade 3. Increased commerce (theoretically) 4. Fewer crowded prisons 5. Less court time & police time used (IE more time for other crimes) 6. (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) Nope. Because you still had to make the decision to say "no" to them :) And certainly they have the power to make you not have to *make* a decision by never even beginning to buy your product, but that doesn't affect your moral valuation, IE (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) I agree-- although I don't think I'd word it quite so :) But more or less, I think that's a fair assessment. (...) Well, given the above agreement that morality is aesthetic, who cares about what they think? We're talking about the person (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Why doesn't the Gov't legalize marijuana (et al) and simply tax it exorbitantly, like 80,000%, or something? I mean, the government *does* have the power to levy taxes, and that would seem to accomplish nominally the same thing. Dave! (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) I'm not sure. I guess my strongest notion about morality is that it's a bogus idea (like religion) designed to manipulate others into building a society that benefits certain people. (i.e. my sense of morality, had I one that I championed, (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Conspiracy theories

(...) I haven't heard that, actually. Do you know of a web cite? On the other hand, the more recent Airbus crash in Queens did involve several debris sites for the tail rudder, the engines, and the main body. Dave! (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact