 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 729
Re: HES Valhalla - Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:15:32 GMT

   Oh, man.

   This is what happens when I'm forced to use the web interface.
   I miss *entire* threads!  You know, I wouldn't have been the
   slightest bit against you putting this in .boats or even .pirates--
   I totally lost it in .clone-brands (despite its relevance there).

   So I have to go back to the beginning (well, back to the pics)
   and say "wow."  Now *there's* a nice looking ship--I especially
   like the way you've pieced the deck together and also preserved
   open spaces below decks.  The gun tubs are rather nice, and the
   pernicious pixellation problem doesn't detract at all from how
   lovely the ship's lines are.

   Great pictures!  I only wish there were more.  :(  I definitely
   consider a gauntlet tossed down for my next project...;)

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Parsons writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Kerry Raymond writes:

Try a puddle for that realistic water look!

Hmmm.  Need a BIG puddle....

   I've always just bought a remnant rug of the requisite colour.
   It's cheap, doesn't wet the pieces, it isn't that dirty, and
   you can create wave effects by fluffing around the fibres.  A
   good bow and stern wake effect is pretty easy that way.

   The downside:  Do you really want a 4m x 4m piece of blue-grey
   carpet hanging around?

Actually I am interested in the choice of the name "Valhalla"; want to offer
any reasons?

Well, its kind of a 'heaven where wounded (yes yes, no, not actually dead)
warriors go'.  In keeping with the Port Block Yards
(http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/yar/) ethos, His Excellency's Ship
Valhalla sails the 1940's Pacific, out of Port Block, repairing and
enhancing ship and aircraft alike, pilfering parts from wrecks that the
combatants deemed unsalvageable.  Valhalla herself was originally a Brikish
Escort Carrier, badly damaged by submarine torpedo attack and left to sink
in the North Atlantic, recovered by PBY personnel.

   When I first read this, I imagined PBY Catalinas...only got the
   acronym later.  ;)  Hm, maybe it's time to use those MF hull
   bottom sections and build a Japanese cruiser--the greatest foe
   of the wily Allied Escort Carrier (Just ask the US CVE _Gambier
   Bay_ about that one).

   Anyways, very very neat! all-around.  I wish I could see it in
   the ABS, but alas, photos must do... :(

   best

   Lindsay