 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 730
729  |  731
Subject:
best-lock ... great sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 20:21:00 GMT

Hey all,

I bought a best-lock set as a gag gift for a friend this Christmas.  However, I
was looking through their included catalog and noticed some things:

http://www.best-lock.com/new/mili.htm

WOW! Holy Cow!  Do you see that? GREAT military sets!  This company has LEGO
beat hands down in this department.  And don't tell me LEGO does not do war,
becasue that is hooey.  Check out all the cariety and neat design of those
sets.  Too bad best-lock is not very copatible with LEGO.

Also:

http://www.best-lock.com/new/cast.htm

These castles absolutely BLOW AWAY anything LEGO currently offers.  Great
looking, simple castle sets.  The minifigs that come with these are
incompatable/cheap compared to LEGO.  I have a feeling LEGO has a patent on the
minifig legs that fit on studs.  The minifigs for best-lock suck royal.

For you pirate/boat fans:

http://www.best-lock.com/new/ships.htm

I think to sum up, these sets remind me of the ones LEGO used to release when
they were not trying to skimp on parts, and were more creative, buildings sets
around parts instead of inventing parts for sets.  The sets are AWESOME.

I would buy these in a second if they were more compatible with LEGO.  But the
quality is worse, the measurements are off slightly, and the "plates" are 1/2 a
brick high instead of 1/3.

I do hope these scare LEGO, because if I was just starting to collect, and I
saw these on the shelf, I would be drawn to these cool ideas and slick sets
instead of some of the junky 2001 sets (Star Wars excepted, of course).

best-lock's main page is:

http://www.best-lock.com/new/index.html

Jason