 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 728
Re: HES Valhalla - Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:46:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Kerry Raymond writes:

I'll try to get out and about in the sun this weekend....

Try a puddle for that realistic water look!

Hmmm.  Need a BIG puddle....

Actually I am interested in the choice of the name "Valhalla"; want to offer
any reasons?

Well, its kind of a 'heaven where wounded (yes yes, no, not actually dead)
warriors go'.  In keeping with the Port Block Yards
(http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/yar/) ethos, His Excellency's Ship
Valhalla sails the 1940's Pacific, out of Port Block, repairing and
enhancing ship and aircraft alike, pilfering parts from wrecks that the
combatants deemed unsalvageable.  Valhalla herself was originally a Brikish
Escort Carrier, badly damaged by submarine torpedo attack and left to sink
in the North Atlantic, recovered by PBY personnel.

The heaven bit came from three main factors:

  Port Block Yards has always favoured mixed
  gender teams, so there were women aboard.

  The parts stores aboard were outstanding.

  Valhalla's chef's supply officer was among
  the craftiest in maritime service.

Or something.....

Richard
Still baldly going...