 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 690
Re: HES Valhalla
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:41:50 GMT

"Richard Parsons" <richard_w_parsons@hotmail.com> writes:

For those who ruminate fully on deep detail, I note (in case no-one else has
recently) that Lego and MB, despite good local compatibility, are not
actually the same size.  Over 16 studs, the difference in pretty much
imperceptible, however (as a guy who regularly uses grey 48 x 48 baseplates
- suitably trimmed - as decking) over 32 studs, the difference is more than
a millimetre.  Over 96 studs, using baseplates for the base of a single MB
model gives it quite a bow.  Over 192 studs, it bows to hold both of the
ends of the model up bu about 4mm.  Unattractive stuff.  Having said that,
MB models do not seem to need to follow the standard Lego 'blocks in the
middle, plates on top and bottom' approach - a ship doesn't actually need
baseplates...

I think you'll find that if you build up high enough, the bow will go
away. It is quite noticeable if you build with MB 1x2's on the flexible
baseplates. Even the 2x4's do it. However, when you get more than a couple
of bricks high, the bow will be gone. I'm not sure what "gives" to make
the bow go away, but it does. With a 5 or 6 layer construction, peeling
the grey baseplate off, and putting it back, is quite easy. So, overall,
I think the sizes are the same, and there is some other issue that causes
the bowing. I'd guess that the 1 x 2 bricks are too small, both for Lego
2 x 4's, and for MB 2 x 4's. Perhaps the MB design puts more sideways
pressure on the connections than the Lego one does, and that shows up as
a greater bowing with only one or two layers.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/