 Marketplace / Theory / 966
Re: When Do We Call it Auction? (Was: Re: 6286 Last Call)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:39:49 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:

I wonder how many of the people who "don't even want to
know auctions exist" follow lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade? The one person • we
heard from who doesn't want to hear about auctions didn't sound like he • was
interested in any market action at all.

That's me!  I fit this profile perfectly--just as you described it Frank.

I never look at market.auction.  But I get buy-sell-trade via email and • read
every post.

I am not anti-auction, just have my reasons--mostly financial at this time.

How offended are you by the general level of misplaced auction posts (this
past week or so has been ridiculous, I wonder what's causing it)? How do you
feel about the "best offer by" deals (which are in effect sealed bid
auctions)? Do you feel Tammy's trade offer was being turned into an auction
(as a participant, I did feel it was being turned into an auction, though I
understand what Tammy was trying to do, another case of a fuzzily worded
post causing a thermonuclear reaction)?

I'm generally a very easy-going guy, so this stuff does not particularly
bother me.  I keeps me somewhat informed of what else is out there and how
much sets are going for these days.  I don't really dislike it although I do
recognize that some posts are in the wrong place.

Because I read via email, the time it takes to download my mail is trivial and
it takes no time at all to click ~delete~ on a message whether I have looked
at it or not.  From the perspective of time, I do not waste any on misplaced
posts, I simply move on.
However, since using the HTTP web interface is slower since you have to load
each message one-at-a-time, these mis-placed posts could get annoying to some
for this reason.
Why so many people are getting so worked up about all of this has me baffled.
I just kinda sit back and let it pass me by--I go build instead....

I read Tammy's post asking for offers and I personally do not have any
problems with it whatsoever, including after she added here ~wanted~ price.
There should be no discussion about this since there is not problem--the
controversy is just that some people want controversy.

To Tammy:
Please do not distance yourself from the entire Lugnet community based upon a
few incidents with a few individuals.  We are all individuals with different
ideas and manners of communicating (some more harsh, others more level-headed
and well-thought out).  You are a busy person as a student; many of us know
all about being a student.  I think that you have done your share of good
things for the lugnet community and we are a little better because of that.

You have asked for someone to step forward and handle the Jambalaya tracking.
I respect you for this.  No everyone would be as forthcoming as this in asking
for some help, but rather just disappeared without explantion.
I sincerely hope that someone will step forward and offer to manage the
Jambalaya tracking--not just for your but for all past, present, and future
participants in the jambalaya experiment.
I have not yet received a jambalaya box, but I would like to personally thank
you for all of your efforts in tracking the boxs.  I am sure you have sent a
few thousand emails and have posted to market.jambalaya an infinite number of
times for the benefit of the whole community.  Lugnet cannot afford to lose
the contributions of valuable members like yourself over trivial differences.

Some people like controversy just so that they can hear themselves argue.
Don't let it get you down.

__Kevin Salm__