 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 4700
4699  |  4701
Subject:
When Do We Call it Auction? (Was: Re: 6286 Last Call)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 01:35:47 GMT

Hi everyone,

To recap briefly, and to beat the dead horse yet further:

Matthew Dean wrote:

Hi everybody -

Thanks for the creative and exciting offers. I'll start by clarifying my

Skull's Eye Schooner is complete since I've added the original sails
from my other 6286 to make a mint ship - no stains, mustiness,
smokiness, chew marks, etc. My best offer right now is very nice but to
be fair to everyone I'll post it here, which seems to be the custom,
just in case anyone else really wants this ship and has something more
interesting to offer:

Mookie wrote [in thread"[*] For sale or Trade [*] Update w/prices"]:

Since it seems people do better with prices in mind I added the price in
the first column of what I'll sell the set for, You can use this to
evaluate what I'd be willing to trade for the set. These are lower than
going auction price, I'll sell them for this price you pay shipping, or
I'll trade them for the sets below.
The price after with a name is who as made an offer on the sets and
their amount. I think it's just easier to post the price I'm looking for
them. You decide after that what you want to do.

I'm not trying to be inordinately picky, but IMHO these posts both
technically convert a b-s-t transaction into an auction.  The first is more
blatant about it, and were I the trader making such a fair offer (and it
really is an excellent offer, Matt--great stuff!) I would be rather upset
about this post--whether or not it was the intent, it would smack of using
my generous offer as a lever to garner potentially even more favourable
offers.  By my book, that's an auction.  The second is more definsible,
because prices are being added to items already on offer, but by including
"current high offers" it too technically creates an auction situation, which
may not have been what the bidder wanted (indeed it may be what the
potential trader expressly did *not* want).

Granted, the potential traders/buyers in both scenarios may have OK'd the
originator's new posts, but even so it blurs the line between sale and
auction even further.  That's normally just a matter of semantics, but in
this case it may operate counter to a buyer's expectations and in fact
undermine their efforts.  The first post's citation of the practice as
"custom" is what prompted this cantankerous post--I don't care if it happens
once in a while, but I don't want it to become customary.

Then again, perhaps I'm just old, cranky, stuffy, and wrong.  I'm also not
trying to "single out" anyone (especially since I hold Tamy in the highest
esteem, and I'm sure Matt is a good fellow, although I don't know him) but
rather have chosen the two most recent examples--one fairly straightforward,
and one much less so.

Okay, flame away!   Er, hold on, I can't seem to locate my suit...

best

Lindsay

PS:  FUT .market.theory.