 Marketplace / Theory / 957
Re: When Do We Call it Auction? (Was: Re: 6286 Last Call)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:12:27 GMT

Mookie wrote in message <38AA042F.E44DC22A@worldnet.att.net>...
Mr L F Braun wrote:

Mookie wrote [in thread"[*] For sale or Trade [*] Update w/prices"]:

Since it seems people do better with prices in mind I added the price • in
the first column of what I'll sell the set for, You can use this to
evaluate what I'd be willing to trade for the set. These are lower than
going auction price, I'll sell them for this price you pay shipping, or
I'll trade them for the sets below.
The price after with a name is who as made an offer on the sets and
their amount. I think it's just easier to post the price I'm looking • for
them. You decide after that what you want to do.

I'm not trying to be inordinately picky, but IMHO these posts both
technically convert a b-s-t transaction into an auction.  The first is • more
blatant about it, and were I the trader making such a fair offer (and it
really is an excellent offer, Matt--great stuff!) I would be rather upset
about this post--whether or not it was the intent, it would smack of • using
my generous offer as a lever to garner potentially even more favourable
offers.  By my book, that's an auction.  The second is more definsible,
because prices are being added to items already on offer, but by • including
"current high offers" it too technically creates an auction situation, • which
may not have been what the bidder wanted (indeed it may be what the
potential trader expressly did *not* want).

So you are saying I can't set a price when I want to sell something?
Item's have a trade value. Not all people agree with these prices so I
figured I'd just post what they are worth in my mind, it wasn't to raise
the prices at all. and the buck that a couple of them are under I'd let
go, I just went by the list I created when I decided what sets I would
sell or trade to get the newer sets.
The prices I added were MY prices, I don't see this being a problem..
though if it is.. I give up..
I tried to ask about this, though I feel like I get ignored around here
when I ask questions. So just forget the whole thing..
Frank contact me if you want to go through with the trade, the rest are
staying in the attic..

Tammy,

Unfortunately you walked into a minefield here (take a look at
lugnet.admin.general if you care about the history of said minefield, also
look at the thread here in lugnet.market.theory about what is an auction). I
hope you won't take offense at this post, I'm trying to weigh in on the side
of having understandable rules, and granting some leeway.

That being said, it is clear in my mind that your sell/trade offer has
become an auction since you have posted peoples bids, and should have been
moved to lugnet.market.auction. I'm ok with that, I can understand what you
are trying to do. You would have been better off posting your starting
prices originally, but that's 20-20 hindsight.

The more and more I think about it, the more I am inclined to think that
trying to separate auctions from other deals is not going to work. There are
always grey areas. I wonder how many of the people who "don't even want to
know auctions exist" follow lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade? The one person we
heard from who doesn't want to hear about auctions didn't sound like he was
interested in any market action at all.

I do think there is a large class of people however who are happy to wheel
and deal here on Lugnet, but who would rather never hear that such a thing
as eBay might exist (well, most probably aren't that adamant, but I think a
lot of people have no interest in eBay). To that extent, I really believe
that a market structure more like:

lugnet.market groups:
- discussion - theory and any other discussion
- shopping - what it is today, incidentally, I think DYA listings belong
here
- wanted (1)
- buy/sell/trade (where private auctions count as sell/trade) - private
wheeling and dealing
- updates (if your bst turns into something where you need to post updates,
post them here, I'd even go so far as to say posting the list of what is
left after a week of selling should go here, not just auction updates)
- eBay - announcing any eBay auctions, discussing eBay auctions, etc. Posts
outside of this group probably should not point to an eBay URL without real
good reason (or point to your page which is a list if eBay URLs). Pointing
to the picture and item description on your own web page for a pre-auction
sale before you post to eBay is probably ok, but you might want to wait
until you post to eBay to include eBay specific text in that listing.

(1) I suspect there are people who are not really in the market for things,
who would follow this, and not any other market action

Frank