 Marketplace / Theory / 958
Re: When Do We Call it Auction? (Was: Re: 6286 Last Call)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:56:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
So you are saying I can't set a price when I want to sell something?
Item's have a trade value. Not all people agree with these prices so I
figured I'd just post what they are worth in my mind, it wasn't to raise
the prices at all. and the buck that a couple of them are under I'd let
go, I just went by the list I created when I decided what sets I would
sell or trade to get the newer sets.
The prices I added were MY prices, I don't see this being a problem..
though if it is.. I give up..
I tried to ask about this, though I feel like I get ignored around here
when I ask questions. So just forget the whole thing..
Frank contact me if you want to go through with the trade, the rest are
staying in the attic..

That being said, it is clear in my mind that your sell/trade offer has
become an auction since you have posted peoples bids, and should have been
moved to lugnet.market.auction. I'm ok with that, I can understand what you
are trying to do. You would have been better off posting your starting
prices originally, but that's 20-20 hindsight.

The more and more I think about it, the more I am inclined to think that
trying to separate auctions from other deals is not going to work. There are
always grey areas. I wonder how many of the people who "don't even want to
know auctions exist" follow lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade? The one person we
heard from who doesn't want to hear about auctions didn't sound like he was
interested in any market action at all.

<major, indiscriminate, snippage>

Ok.  I've been trying to stay away from this whole thing with a ten-foot pole,
but my pole just snapped.

1:To make my position clear: I am one of those people who doesn't want to see
auction posts out of .auction, BST posts out of .BST, and thinks "sealed bid
auctions" and OBO's should be in .auction, although I conceed it's a very grey
area.

2:What Tamy did does not, in my mind, consitute an auction.  She did not
solicite bids, she stated a value at which she would sell.  That is so
blatently a trade/sale situation I can't believe it got mistaken for an
auction.

3:Tamy is a good trader, has put a HUGE amount of effort into market
activities, most specifically jambalaya, and to not even give her the benefit
of the doubt strikes me as seriously pushing the line of courtesy.

4:I think everyone has to take a step back, let things cool for a while, and
then approach this fresh.  We are seeing the same kind of weird escalation we
saw before with the IP/catalogue scans debate, and I really, REALLY don't want
to see this go farther up.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/