 Marketplace / Theory / 575
Re: When is "Not an Auction" really an auction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 00:47:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
[...]
Summing up (and Todd won't admit this (3), but hey, I never make misteaks,
so this IS the correct answer, I have spoken) They ARE auctions, there IS
logic behind allowing them in b.s.t and even if there wasn't, he already
decided, and that settles it, unless he changes his mind.
[...]
3 - the part about him being wrong about anything... He's almost as stubborn
as I am. (4)

I always admit I'm wrong once I've been shown it conclusively.  In this case,
I agree with the whole of your post above (some snipped).  But disagree about
being wrong about the essence of a "sealed bid auction" and what it really is
or is not.

At any rate, my point was that, whether or not they are actually "auctions"
(which of course I agree they *lexicographically are* because of the silly
label, just as a "stuffed animal" is an "animal" and a "rice cake" is "cake"),
they're not _at all_ auctions _in spirit_ (no way, no way, no way), which you
explained much better than I did.

4 - well, I'm not stubborn, because that's a flaw and I don't have any. I'm
just persistent.

Persistent is good.  :-)

--Todd