 Marketplace / Theory / 555
Re: When is "Not an Auction" really an auction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 08:34:18 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Steve Martin writes:
To which I then replied:

Chris,
This is a pretty crappy way to behave.  If you are going to run an auction,
run it as an auction.  Don't send out individual emails to people saying that
you will sell them a certain set for a given price then backout.  Feels a lot
like a store doing a bait and switch.

So, was I over reacting or is this really bad manners on his part?  I must
admit I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing.

I don't think you were over reacting.  I'd be pretty pissed if that happened
to me too.  Let's say I was selling something for $100 (not auctioning) and
you agreed to pay me that amount.  Then someone else offers me $150.  It would
be very unfair of me to take that new offer, since it's a straight sale and
you were the first to contact me!

Which is why straight sales tend to be more expensive since they avoid all the
hassles involved with auctions.

Bryan