 Marketplace / Theory / 547
Re: When is "Not an Auction" really an auction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 00:06:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, James Brown writes:
[...]
As an aside, I agree with Larry and Derrick. SRSB auctions are not
something I think belongs in BST.
In my brain, the fact that you don't know who your bidding against or how
much they bid makes it no less an auction.  OTOH, my brain has been wrong
before.

When you see an OBO in the newspaper and you call someone up and make an
offer, you don't know who you're competing against either.  OBO's are "sealed
bid auctions" too.  They're the same thing.

But they're actually not auctions in spirit.

--Todd