 Marketplace / Theory / 541
540  |  542
Subject:
When is "Not an Auction" really an auction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:13:15 GMT

Be warned: serious ranting below.

I'm awfully tired of notices posted to marketplace.buy-sell-trade, stating
something like:

"big Lego for sale..  ...this is NOT an auction...  ...highest offer received
after..." etc.

This isn't an auction? It sure is the heck isn't a sale for pete's sake!

In fact, the American Heritage Dictionary defines an auction as follows:

auc·tion (ôkshn) n.
A public sale in which property or items of merchandise are sold to the
highest bidder.

and that is exactly what these so-called "highest offer" sales are. In fact,
it's the worst kind of auction - sealed bid.  This kind of sale heavily favors
the seller by depriving bidders of virtually any information (except "you win"
or "you lose") and the potential for abuse is enormous.

So, in conclusion, I demand that the powers that be either:
1) steer these "highest offer" sales to marketplace.auction, or
2) Create a new group under marketplace titled marketplace.sealed-bid,
marketplace.best-offer, or something like that.

And just to let you know that I'm really, really Serious, I'm going on a Lego
strike - I will not buy more Lego until my demands are met!

hmmmm. Er, maybe I'll just hold my breath, instead.  Yeah, that's it. I'll
hold my breath until at least one of my demands are met...

or how about if I just demand a shrubbery?

-Derick