 Marketplace / Theory / 569
Re: When is "Not an Auction" really an auction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:21:35 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Derick Bulkley writes:
Be warned: serious ranting below.

Potentially more annoying are sales that when you enquire about the item you
get the reply, "You were the first to ask about this item so it should be
yours, but someone else asked about it too so I'm going to auction it off
instead."

Richard

This gets up my nose too. (1)

Just curious, how do people feel about "I'm thinking of selling XYZ. If
I get a huge response, I will auction it, otherwise I will come back
with a price, and sell to the first offer"?

How do you conduct trades? Do you trade for the "best offer" or take the
first trade offer which meets your valuation of the item? This obviously
is different because the offers don't have a mutually agreeable value
(as opposed to money, which for the most part each of us is agreement on
it's value relative to other money - i.e., your US dollar is as good as
my US dollar).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com