 Marketplace / Theory / 2565
Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:49:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
It has been a while since the bulk selection offered by Lego Shop@Home as
been expanded beyond a new release or two. (Where are the gray tiles!?)

Expanded isn't really something to expect at this point. As Brad has mentioned
several times, they're limited to a certain amount of SKU's they can use, so
there likely won't ever be a selection of 500 different pieces, all available in
bulk from Lego. At least, not in the near future.

To be honest, I wish they kept the old bulk brick system. A mix of basic bricks,
all the same color. And I'd prefer they kept bulk to things that people want in
bulk, IE specialty parts. Windows, trees, minifigs, coins, fences, etc.
Bricks/plates/tiles/slopes could/should be done in "mix of parts" packs.

And, yes, I know there are those of you out there who would complain about
having tons of extra 1x1's and 1x2's, when all you wanted was 2x4's or
something. Well, I'm of the mind to say THAT's what BrickLink's for. People
buying 1000's of a particular sized brick/plate/tile/slope are NOT your typical
Lego fan (IE some kid). And as much as it would be cool if Lego *could* support
that, it'd be WAY too cost intensive to do that. At least, that's my impression.

Plus, I personally want those "mix" bags back. Lego truly has lost sales from me
(and I'd bet other AFOLs) because they stopped offering them. I've barely ever
ordered bulk pieces, but there are so many times I would've opted to buy the
mixed bags if they were still around. I don't design MOCs that need specific
numbers of particular basic bricks.

And this got me thinking -

A. Did the arrival of BrickLink create a viable alternative to bulk sales
offered by Lego Direct?

I'd say so, though you don't always have a guarantee of quality when you're
dealing with a seller vs. Lego. Alternative? Yes. Equal? Nah.

B. Because we have 1,056 (1) sellers on BrickLink, is there any need for
bulk sales from Lego Direct?

Yes. J. Random kid/parent doesn't know about BrickLink. And even if they did,
they might be leery of buying through some person rather than Lego itself.

C. Do you think BrickLink has had any influence on the decision making
process at Lego Direct regarding the bulk offerings?

Doubtful, but maybe. Offhand, I'd guess that at the most, Lego checked out
BrickLink prices and sales to see what parts sell at the highest volumes, for
what prices, etc. I don't think they'd rethink their stock in terms of quantity
though. Sales to AFOLs etc are supposedly <5% of Lego's business monetarily, and
most likely <1% demographically. Doubt it made much of an impact.

D. Why do you purchase Lego elements through Shop@Home versus BrickLink? Or
BrickLink over Shop@Home?

Selection. Rare pieces, out of production pieces, etc. Not savings. If I wanted
1000 2x4 red bricks? I'd go to Lego, not BrickLink. With Lego you know you're
getting both quality and speed. And you can pay easily by credit card. And you
get that spiffy S@H catalog! :) If I wanted 1000 stormtrooper minifigs?
BrickLink.

DaveE