 General / 43040
Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:47:04 GMT

Yeah, but you get to skip most of the Bay Area by taking 5 - normally, at least the
first hour of my trip to LLC from Sunnyvale was just getting to 152 to get to 5.
Sometimes 2 hours.

Once I made it to 5, I flew - made it in 5.5 hours once, from my door to the park's
entrance ;-)

Then there was the time I left at 9am Sat morn, drove to LLC, hitting EVERY Shell in
SoCal in view of I5 (this was when they were testmarketing the Shell sets there, and
nowhere else), hit Downtown Disney on the way back up (eating at Rainforest at
10something pm and hitting the Lego store afterwards), hitting any Shell stations I
missed, and arriving home at around 5-6am Sun morning...

Luckily, my Orlando LIC trip next month will be more leisurely - drive down Fri night,
stay in a timeshare, hit Wet'n'Wild for a car gathering, then LIC Sun morning before
driving home Sun afternoon.  Hitting every Target/Walmart I see on the way home ;-)

I can't BELIEVE they are opening another SoCal store instead of the Bay Area.  That
just makes NO sense at all.  I KNOW there are many malls in the Bay Area that could
use the presence, so are probably discounting space.  The Great Mall would be a great
place to put it, off the top of my head, and there are probably several good East and
North bay malls that I'm forgetting.

Maggie Cambron wrote:

In lugnet.general, Thomas Stangl wrote:
When I lived in CA, LLC was in my own state.  It was also 440 miles from me, not
an afternoon drive (OK, for me, it was, once, but I didn't make a habit of it).

Many people on Lugnet can be that far, or much farther, away from any
official Lego store.

Yep, I was surprised when it was mentioned in the other thread they are opening
one in Glendale.  Why not Northern California?  Assuming Tom lived somewhere
around San Jose that would make my distance from LLC over 500 miles.  And having
to drive through the Bay Area tacks on a couple of extra hours these days, so
it's *not* an afternoon drive.

Thank goodness for S@H.

Maggie C.

So even if the LIC/Lego store is in your own state, that doesn't mean that it is
accessible.  Most people can't afford to take off of work for a day or 2 and put
1000 miles on their car just to shop for Lego.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/