 Marketplace / Theory / 2566
Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:21:24 GMT

I have to solidly agree.  Plus, if LEGO stops selling a certain bulk parts pack,
then it seems like everyone else stops stocking the parts. Case in point, the
Black Steep Roof Tile.  I thought the market was flooded with them, then LEGO
discontinued it from Shop@Home.  Doing a scan on availability, you can only get
these in sizeable quantity from Germany, but not even enough to make it
worthwhile.

I have noticed this trend as well.  Perhaps a bricklink seller will inform me of
this question - Do sellers ever stockpile a part and just sit on it - knowing
that it could be very valuable in the future?

Case in point - the brown shovel in the Red Baron Set.  (I really like this
piece because peasants would have wooden shovels)  Ok the shovel is a common
piece but not in brown.  In addition, it supports the fuselage and could snap
easily - and need to be replaced.  So if LEGO never produces it again and you
only get 1 in a 50 dollar set it will be valuable.  (Known examples of this
phenomenon are the obvious black sword and light grey treasure chest)

Or are all pieces in shops wysiwyg? Do most sellers post all of their inventory
asap?

I agree with several topics above on bricklink vs SAH.  I will use Bricklink for
cheaper prices or hard to find items.  SAH is nice for things like roof packs,
theme accessories, and gifts for friends/family (and of course awesome Direct
sets).

A product in a warehouse is not generating profit until it is sold - it is
accumulating space and time which is money.  Hence, the limit on SAH product
selection.  Although certain items are proven sellers and should ALWAYS be in
stock - like 2x4 black roof tiles :)  They will sell while 3 construction worker
figs may sit on the shelves for a while.  As stated before, we are a small
portion of the market, not parents who want to get their kids a folliage pack
(ok we dont have one - how about a pack with many flowers, tree leaves, palm
leaves, and plants) or whatever.

Ben