 Marketplace / Theory / 2469
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:53:01 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Scott Costello writes:
It’s really not a big deal, but I was bidding on an item on Ebay and I was
out bid, literally 3 seconds before the item closed. Is that even possible?
Was it just extraordinary luck that the winning bidder clicked submit just
under the wire or was there something else afoot? I am just curious, I have
been sniped before, but never with 3 seconds remaining in an auction. Anyone
else have anything like this happen before? I am a pretty unlucky guy so it
could just be me.

I've done it.  Nothing to hide.  It's just part of the ugliness that can be
eBay.

I bid over my dial-up home connection.  So my response time isn't always
guaranteed.  I will sometimes snipe with 30, 20, or even 10 seconds to go.
With the lag there and back, it's hard to say exactly when my bid gets
received.  I'm sure I've annoyed a few people.  But then I've also been on
the receiving end many times.

It's not fun, but it's also not against the rules.

All the best,
Allan