 Marketplace / Theory / 2475
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:45:36 GMT

"Clifton D. Chambers" wrote:
I agree sniping is part of the game. I am not always happy about sniping but
I do have a concern with the use of software that jams other bidders from
bidding on an item near the close of an auction.  I have had this happen on
several occasions over the past couple of months.  After the item closes
everything is back to normal.  I know this sounds strange, but it’s true.  I
often bid from home and use a dial up modem.  At other times I will bid from
work that uses a high-speed network connection.  The same thing happens on
both computer systems.  Sometimes E-bay will actually tell you that your bid
is too low and go back and bid a higher amount while showing the exact
amount of the current bid.  I am concerned because I have seen an increase
in the number of times that an auction is jammed at the last minute.   I
tried to believe that this is because of the number of hits an auction is
taking at the last minute.  Checking the auction counter and the number of
bids placed on the items does not justify what is occurring.  Based on what
I am seeing this can only be the result of someone using software.  I would
like to know if anyone else has seen this pattern or experienced the same
problem.

Certainly could be a problem, and not a nice thing to do (and something
that one could take legal action against if it could be proved, and
probably illegal), but I don't have too much sympathy to the snipers
locked out of this, you're trying to beat the system and taking a risk.
The solution to the problem is to play the game the way it was intended,
and bid early (and often :-).

Frank