 Marketplace / Theory / 2468
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:49:17 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Jeremy Scott writes:

Hey I snipe.  Everyone snipes.  Sniping is the game you must play on ebay.
9/10 times I must snipe to win.  I have a cable (cox) ISP and can press the
button with 4 seconds and the bid counts at 2.  It is nasty - I know.

Not everyone snipes, but lots of people do, including me  :^)
I don't know why a lot of people get upset at sniping, it's within the rules
and if you can't be present at an auction end, just get one of the automated
sniping programs to work for you.

What bidders could be worse, maybe the plodders, who rarely win anything and
just plod away putting in low bids on hundreds of auctions and just pushing
prices up overall.

Anyway sniping is a good adrenalin rush, quasi-gambling perhaps ?
When there are a series of auctions from the one seller, all finishing 2
minutes after the previous, that's when it gets really exciting.

Some snipers will rarely be beaten, they come in with monster bids,
to blow you out of your tree, they rarely bid early, and cannot be defended
against, unless you try to outmonster them.

Other snipers will bid early and return for the showdown, it's often good to
do research on their type of bid amount on past auctions and what strike rate
they have and whether they will go high.

The one-two snipe will work with certain snipers, but the first snipe will
often alert other snipers and they adjust their sniping bids accordingly.

Maybe we need to define terms for the sub-types of bidders ?

What you need to do is...

Have two browser windows open.

On the first one, set to the place bid page.
On the other watch the auction.

In the last hour or so, the time remaining will also display seconds.  Set a
stop watch to countdown 50 (or whatever) minutes.  Refresh your browser
every second until the time remaining says 50:04 and turn on the countdown.

In the last minute, set your first snipe - 60% of your max bid.  Other
snipers may give up under that pressure.  Place it at 30 seconds.  Now reset
the page to place a final bid, for 100% of your max bid.

Watch you countdown... at 5 seconds move the mouse over the "place the bid
now" button and at 1 click the mouse down and at 0 let the mouse up!!!  The
tension rises.  At the confirmation page you will discover if your 100% bid
beat the other sniper's proxy.  If it did, you may have won.  Check back to
the auction page --- and YES!  You won!!!  Wohoo.