 Marketplace / Theory / 2467
Re: Ebay sniper? you make the call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:19:31 GMT

Moved to .theory in an attempt to not upset Kevin (and because .auction is
only for auction ANNOUNCEMENTS)

Hey I snipe.  Everyone snipes.  Sniping is the game you must play on ebay.
9/10 times I must snipe to win.  I have a cable (cox) ISP and can press the
button with 4 seconds and the bid counts at 2.  It is nasty - I know.

What you need to do is...

Have two browser windows open.

On the first one, set to the place bid page.
On the other watch the auction.

In the last hour or so, the time remaining will also display seconds.  Set a
stop watch to countdown 50 (or whatever) minutes.  Refresh your browser
every second until the time remaining says 50:04 and turn on the countdown.

In the last minute, set your first snipe - 60% of your max bid.  Other
snipers may give up under that pressure.  Place it at 30 seconds.  Now reset
the page to place a final bid, for 100% of your max bid.

Watch you countdown... at 5 seconds move the mouse over the "place the bid
now" button and at 1 click the mouse down and at 0 let the mouse up!!!  The
tension rises.  At the confirmation page you will discover if your 100% bid
beat the other sniper's proxy.  If it did, you may have won.  Check back to
the auction page --- and YES!  You won!!!  Wohoo.

Jeremy
In lugnet.market.auction, Scott Costello writes:
It’s really not a big deal, but I was bidding on an item on Ebay and I was
out bid, literally 3 seconds before the item closed. Is that even possible?
Was it just extraordinary luck that the winning bidder clicked submit just
under the wire or was there something else afoot? I am just curious, I have
been sniped before, but never with 3 seconds remaining in an auction. Anyone
else have anything like this happen before? I am a pretty unlucky guy so it
could just be me.

Scott